Hours: M-F 8:30-5 PM ET
Children's Learning and Development
Designed for adults interested in or already working for agencies and programs serving children, youth, and families, this online bachelor’s degree in Interdisciplinary Studies will help you develop the knowledge and enhance the skills you need to build an elevated career improving the intellectual, social, and emotional growth of children.
Through the UWW Degree Completion Program, you can design your own degree concentration to fit your interests and career goals with online courses in multicultural education, teaching methods, behavior management, the family, child psychology, inclusion, special education, and management/non-profit administration.
- You’re in the Driver’s Seat: Design your own degree concentration through your perfect mix of 100% online courses, and optional blended and on-campus offerings to fit your busy life. Plus, most of our courses are asynchronous, meaning you can complete them on your schedule.
- Accelerate Your Degree: Bring in or earn up to 105 credits for your prior coursework, prior learning, and life and work experience to accelerate your degree, saving you time and money.
- Cross Disciplinary Boundaries: Craft your individualized degree concentration to suit your goals and interests, from taking online courses in health to study children’s wellness, to focusing on online business courses to manage a children’s program.
- Attention Montessori Teachers: You can even earn credit for your Montessori trainings.
- Mass General Brigham employees: Receive a 10% discount and more through our affiliation with Mass General Brigham.
Your Future in Child Development and Education
With an Interdisciplinary Studies degree with a focus in children’s learning and development, you will advance your career in the fields of education, child advocacy, youth and family programming, and administration.
While this is not a teacher licensure program, we may be able to help you prepare for provisional licensure in the state of Massachusetts. If you live in a state other than Massachusetts, our staff member Jesse Lederman would be happy to help you identify the state board or agency you will need to contact to determine if our program meets your state’s requirements.
- $67,150: Median annual wage for social and community service managers.
- $61,030: Median annual wage for special education teachers
- $59,420: Median annual wage for kindergarten teachers
Flexible, Cross-Disciplinary Courses
You will study with distinguished instructors at the UMass College of Education, the UMass Psychology Department, the Isenberg School of Management, and other related departments.
To give you an idea of the types of online courses related to children’s learning and development that you could choose from, here is a sampling offered over the past few years.
|EDUC||101||Introduction to Education: Schooling in the United States|
|EDUC||210||Social Diversity in Education|
|EDUC||240||Introduction to Educational Statistics|
|EDUC||293A||Love and Work|
|EDUC||301||Young Children in Families and Schools|
|EDUC||325||Introduction to Special Education|
|EDUC||351||Foundations of Education|
|EDUC||377||Introduction to Multicultural Education|
|EDUC||378||Survey of Children's Literature|
|EDUC||461||Principles and Methods of Reading/Language in Elementary Schools|
|EDUC||462||Teaching Science in the Elementary Schools|
|EDUC||463||Principles and Methods of Mathematics - PreK-6th Grade|
|EDUC||491A||Introduction to Inclusion|
|EDUC||591N||Substance Abuse Services and Intervention|
|EDUC||591W||Recognizing Family Values and Initiating Intervention|
|EDUC||592L||Social Studies and Service Learning|
|EDUC||593A||Teaching and Learning in Technology|
|EDUC||594M||Child and Adolescent Development For the Helping Professional|
|EDUC||595A||Educational Video Production|
|EDUC||595G||LGBT Issues In Education|
|COMM||335||Media and Education|
|LLC||320||Foundations of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages|
|LLC||321||The Practice of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages|
|LINGUIST||330||The Structure of English and Language Teaching|
|MATH||113||Math for Educators|
|PSYCH||297D||Disorders in Children|
|PSYCH||397D||Autism Spectrum Disorder|
|PSYCH||480||Intellectual Disability: Concepts and Controversies|
|PSYCH||491D||Impact of Disabilities on Families|
|SOCIOL||322||Sociology of Education|
|SOCIOL||382||Sociology of Childhood|
|UWW||301||Prosocial Behavior Development in Children|
|UWW||360||Experiential Reflections of Learning and Education|
|UWW||377||Child Abuse & Neglect: Multidisciplinary Approaches|
|UWW||397U||Observing & Assessing Children's Behavior|