Dates: January 3 - 7, 2022
Program Length: 1 week
Format: Online with live (synchronous) sessions & offline (asynchronous) assignments
Student Profile: High School Freshmen - Seniors
Winter Sport Leadership Academy
Taught by the #1 globally ranked Mark H. McCormack Department of Sport Management, UMass Amherst’s winter term Sport Leadership Academy is a one-week seminar on the business of sports. From the sidelines to the front office, students will learn about key dynamics shaping the business of sports in the U.S. and internationally. The Academy’s course content is taught by full-time McCormack Department faculty, as well as UMass sport management alumni currently working in sports for teams, leagues, agencies, and entertainment properties.
The course schedule is as follows:
- Day 1: Introductions to fellow students and the McCormack Department. Creative discussion around sport, society, and why sports is a unique industry to study and work in.
- Day 2: Course #1 - Sport & Digital Media
- Day 3: Course #2 - Sport Markets & Economics
- Day 4: Course #3 - Sport Marketing & Branding
- Day 5: Q&A with alumni working in the sport industry (past guests have included alumni working with the Miami Heat, New England Patriots, ESPN, NHL, NBA, NFL, and US Olympic Committee), college/career advice session, and program conclusion
Course content will be delivered live, via ZOOM, for two (2) hours each day.
Asynchronous (non-live) assignments, readings, case studies, and/or workshops will also be provided online, for students to complete throughout the week and bring to class for discussion.
Schedule: Online Live Sessions Monday - Friday, 4 - 6pm (EST)