Summer Engineering Institute
The Summer ENGineering Institute (SENGI) is a multi-faceted program that allows students to explore how engineers envision creative, practical solutions that benefit the everyday lives of people and the communities in which they live. Students will be exposed to numerous and varied topics and the application of science and engineering principles in biomedical, chemical, civil, computer, electrical, environmental, industrial, and mechanical engineering.
These areas will be examined through faculty presentations, guided discovery, and hands-on design activities. Practicing professional and research engineers, most of who are faculty members, will lead projects and activities. Students will also be engaged in a project that extends over the two weeks which they will present on the final day.
The course will be conducted in one of the campus team based learning labs, which offer modern computer stations and state-of-the-art instructional technology, as well as several locations in the Engineering Quadrangle. Students are expected to develop skills in:
- Engineering Design
- Computer software
Students will also come away with a/an:
- Increased awareness of engineering and career opportunities
- First hand experience succeeding as an engineering student
- Improved understanding of the methods of application of the important skills associated with a successful career in engineering
- Increased level of knowledge about some of the challenges associated with different branches of engineering
- Better understanding of which pathways in higher education will prepare them for engineering-related careers
Applicants with both demonstrable financial need and academic merit may apply for a partial scholarship. Please see Program Fees for more information.
This course is offered at the UMass Amherst campus as a residential program. Local students may apply to attend as a commuter.