In person: July 9 - 22, 2023
Online: July 10 - 21, 2023
Program Length: 2 weeks
Format: Online or in person
Residential or commuter
Student Profile: Rising sophomore - senior
Cost: $3,454 Residential
Sport Management & Leadership Academy (CLOSED)
Hosted by the #1 ranked Sport Management department, the McCormack Department's Sport Management & Leadership Academy provides a platform for talented high school students to learn practical sport business applications and industry insights from our world renowned faculty and industry-leading alumni.
During this two-week program, students immerse themselves in key segments and critical issues relevant to the highly competitive sports and entertainment industry, such as:
- Sport & Digital Media
- Sport Marketing & Sales
- Diversity & Inclusion in Sport Organizations
- Player Performance & Data Analytics
- Sports Economics & Market Research
The McCormack Department challenges students to apply a management lens to strategic decision-making in sports, offering a diverse and highly interactive approach to learning.
Students who attend this program will:
- Gain a macro-level understanding of the sport management industry and key stakeholders
- Conceptualize and analyze the unique consumer behavior factors surrounding sports as a product
- Conceptualize and analyze the unique market/business dynamics surrounding sports as a business
- Gain valuable access to UMass/McCormack’s unrivaled sport management alumni database and faculty
- Complete a professional presentation on one area of interest from the 2-week program, for use in applications and career development
The McCormack Department is dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment in the classroom, and the sports industry. Young women and students of color who cannot meet the financial obligations of the Sport Management & Leadership Academy are encouraged to apply for a scholarship. Please see Tuition & Fees to learn how to apply.
Students may attend this course either in person or online.
In Person Schedule: M - F, 9am - 4pm. This course is offered at the UMass Amherst campus as a residential program. Local students may apply to attend as a commuter.
Online Schedule: Live, synchronous sessions will meet M - F 1:00 - 3:00pm (EST). Plus additional asynchronous work as assigned.
Students attending the online program are expected to attend all class sessions live in real time. In order to prioritize the health and well-being of participants, eligibility is restricted to applicants residing in time zones where class hours do not extend beyond midnight. Please use a time zone converter to check when class sessions will meet in your time zone.