How to Enroll as a Non-Degree Student
This enrollment process applies to the following students:
- Certificate Students: admitted or pursuing a certificate program
- Guest Students:
- trying a class to explore a particular program offering
- need to fulfill a requirement and transfer the credits to another institution
- taking a credit course for personal or professional growth
- Pre-Matriculated Students: admitted to the University but would like to take a class before their official admit term
- Inactive Students: who previously took a University+ (formerly UWW) class as a non-degree student or would like to take a class before being readmitted/reactivated into a UMass Amherst degree program.
Before you can enroll in classes*, we will need to collect some information so that we can either create or re-activate your student record in SPIRE (our student information system).
Please follow these instructions:
- Complete the Non-Degree Enrollment Form. Submission of this form is due at least two (2) business days prior to the end of add/drop. See Academic Calendar for exact deadline.
- Once processed, you will receive an email which will provide your UMass Amherst credentials and instructions on how to activate your student account in SPIRE and your UMass email. (Note: All future communications will be sent to your UMass email so please make sure to check it regularly.)
- Once you have activated your account, log into SPIRE.
- Before you can self-enroll in any University+ classes, you must have a University+ Enrollment Appointment in SPIRE. This appointment represents the period during which you will be able to enroll in University+ classes. Request a University+ Enrollment Appointment by following these instructions:
- Click on the Manage Classes tile
- Select Enrollment Appointments and then University+ Enrollment Appointments in the left-hand menu
- Review the instructions at the top to make sure that you are eligible for an appointment
- Select a Term
- Review acknowledgement, including Refund Policy and Class Fees information, and click button to Yes
- Click Request University+ Enrollment Appointment
- Your appointment should now show in the Active Enrollment Appointments box
- Enroll in classes during your appointment period by selecting Add, Drop & Edit Classes on the left-side of the page and then selecting Schedule Builder. Please view our step-by-step enrollment instructions using Schedule Builder.
Questions? Please contact us at @email or 413-545-3653.
*Classes are subject to change/cancellation.