Apply to Exploratory Pathways Program
Welcome! We've put together the following guide to assist you in applying.
Applicants should use the UWW Undergraduate Admissions Application.
FORMER UMASS DEGREE STUDENTS: If you are a former UMass Amherst student who did not complete your degree and you are interested in returning to the University, please visit the Reactivation and Readmission page for instructions.
Admission to the Exploratory Pathways Program is contingent upon the following:
- 3.0 High School cumulative GPA minimum
The successful completion of required high school courses at a level consistent with the university’s admissions standards as shown below. The following minimum subject matter requirements must be met:
- English: 4 units
- Mathematics (Algebra II minimum): 4 units, including math in the senior year of high school
- Natural Science (3 labs): 3 units
- Social Science (one course in US history): 2 units
- Foreign Language: 2 units of same language
- Electives (from areas above, arts and humanities, or computer science): 2 units
While the primary criteria for admission is the high school transcript, other criteria, including the level of academic challenge, extracurricular activities, work, etc., are also considered.
The following materials are required when applying to this program. Some of these are collected as part of the application.
NOTE: For those applicants using the UWW Undergraduate Reactivation form to apply, please refer to the application for any required materials as they may be different than those noted below.
- Essay: In about 150 words, please tell us what led to your decision to apply to this program as well as your educational goals.
- Official Transcript(s): Submit official college transcripts from all colleges you have previously attended, regardless of whether credit is desired. UMass Amherst accepts electronic transcripts from official third parties (eScrip-Safe, Parchment, etc.) or directly from the Registrar's office of the issuing school. Student-submitted transcripts are not accepted. Transcripts can be sent to the UWW Admissions, UMass Amherst, 350 Campus Center Way, Amherst, MA 01003-2902 or email to @email. Maximum transfer credit is 75 semester credits.
- High School Transcripts or GED Scores (if less than 27 transferable college credits)
- English Language Proficiency Documentation: If English is not your first language, please review our English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- International Transcript(s), if applicable.
If you have attended a post-secondary college or university, official transcripts are required whether or not transfer credit is desired.
International Students: Please review our International Applicant's Guide.
($60 Application Fee)
Admissions are done on a rolling basis.
In order to be considered for admission, please make sure that all of the required application materials are received by the following date:
Applications are not considered complete and cannot be reviewed until we have received all required materials. Complete applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received.
What Happens After I Apply?
Following receipt of your application, you will be sent an email with further information. Within 5-6 business days, you will also receive credentials that will allow you to log into our student information system (SPIRE) where you will be able to check the status of your application and missing materials, if applicable.
NOTE: Application review will not take place until we have received all required materials in our office. It is essential for you to check the status of your application and remit any materials as quickly as possible. Decisions are generally determined within 4-6 weeks from the start of application review.
HOLDS: Prior students are responsible for resolving any hold(s) on their UMass account. Applications received on accounts that have a hold which prevents enrollment will not be reviewed by admissions until resolved. To check for holds, log into SPIRE, on the right side of the screen on your student services center page you will see “holds”. To resolve, please contact the office which placed the hold. Once resolved, we can begin our review (if all required materials have also been received). For advising holds, please contact your department.
Please add the @umass.edu domain to your Safe Senders list so that important emails from UMass Amherst don't get caught in your spam filter. You can follow these instructions on how to add to your Safe Senders list for Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail and a few others.