Juniper Prize for Poetry
The Juniper Prize for Poetry is awarded annually to two original manuscripts of poems: one first book prize for a previously unpublished author and one prize for a previously published author. The University of Massachusetts Press publishes the winning manuscripts and the authors receive a $1,000 award upon publication.
Submissions will only be accepted each year between August 1 and September 30. The entry fee is $30. All manuscripts will be judged anonymously by a faculty-judge from the distinguished University of Massachusetts MFA program. The winners will be announced at the University of Massachusetts Press website in April, with publication slated for the following spring.
1. The competition is open to all writers in English, whether or not they are U.S. residents. However, current employees and students of the University of Massachusetts and previous Juniper Prize for Poetry winners are not eligible.
2. Manuscripts by more than one author are not eligible.
3. Translations are not eligible.
4. Chapbooks are not eligible.
5. Collected works of previously published poems are not eligible.
Online submission guidelines
1. Submit your manuscript online through Submittable: https://umasspress.submittable.com/submit
2. Manuscript files must be between 50 and 70 pages, double-spaced in 12-point type (preferably Times New Roman), with pages numbered consecutively.
Mailed submission guidelines
1. Manuscript files must be between 50 and 70 pages, double-spaced in 12-point type (preferably Times New Roman), with pages numbered consecutively. Clean, legible photocopies are acceptable.
2. Each submission must have two cover pages—one listing the title of the manuscript and the author's name, address, phone number, and e-mail address; and a second page listing only the title. The author's name should not appear after the first cover page.
3. All mailed manuscripts must be accompanied by a non-refundable $30 submission fee payable by check or money order in U.S. dollars. Please make checks payable to the University of Massachusetts Press and include the notation "POETRY/your manuscript title" in the memo field of the check.
4. Mailed manuscripts must have a postmark between August 1 and September 30.
5. Mail submissions to:
Juniper Prize for Poetry
University of Massachusetts Press
East Experiment Station
671 North Pleasant Street
Amherst, MA 01003-9301
You may submit your manuscript to other publishers while it is being considered for this competition, but if it is accepted for publication elsewhere, please notify us immediately.
You may submit more than one manuscript to the competition as long as each submission is accompanied by the $30 fee, meets the eligibility requirements, and does not include material submitted to us in another manuscript.
Manuscripts will not be returned.
The University of Massachusetts Press and the University of Massachusetts MFA program assume no responsibility for lost or damaged manuscripts.
The University of Massachusetts Press and the University of Massachusetts MFA program will not provide feedback on manuscripts submitted for competition.
The winners will be notified by the end of March and an announcement of the winners will be placed at the University of Massachusetts Press's website in early April. No information about the winners will be released before the April announcement.
Please send questions about the Juniper Prize competitions to email@example.com.