The production and design assistant performs a wide range of activities and tasks that contribute to the Press’s efficient process for the creation of print and digital books including: manuscript prep; pre and post copyediting with XML; assisting with interior composition and layout of press ready cover mechanicals; creating e-books from post-production files, preparing art for print and digital publication; assisting with design and layout of marketing materials.
- Preparation of manuscripts: clean-up and organize author files, apply XML tags to raw manuscripts for copyeditors
- Prepare copyedited files for production: review tagging and file structure for conversion to idtt text files for composition
- Scan, manipulate and prepare images of print and digital publication
- Create art logs for production and archive in our FileMaker presswide data base
- Prepare text design specifications and samples
- Compose text interiors
- Route, review and correct proofs
- Prepare text and cover files for print vendors
- Layout cover mechanicals for multiple print vendors
- Find and prepare art for covers as needed
- Assist with cover layout and design as needed
- Clean up final printer files to be compatible with proprietary ebook creation software
- Create various epub and epdf files for multiple vendors
- Prepare text and art files for marketing materials as needed
- Organize and archive paper and digital files
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Two years of relevant experience
- A basic understanding of the principles and elements of graphic design.
- Basic knowledge of book composition and production
- Proficient experience and understanding of job-required software applications and mediums, including Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator); Microsoft Office (Word and Excel)
- Familiar with coding; HTML and XML
- Strong English language skills
- Organized with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Basic understanding of copyediting and proofing markup
- Some project management experience
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- Self-motivated, team player.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style a plus.
Direct supervision by the Editorial, Design and Production Manager
Job grade 14
Apply now through Careers at UMass Amherst