If you believe you are the victim of an abusive relationship or domestic violence, please call the police and allow us to assist you. As the responding officers are en route to your address remember that they are there to help you. Below are some of the issues that the officers will address and what you can expect.
When the Police Arrive
- Tell what has happened and who is involved.
- Tell the location of the suspect. (If known)
- Tell if weapons were involved and there location. (Don’t approach the officer with a weapon)
- Indicate injuries you sustained. (Photos may be taken)
The Officer Will:
- Write a report of the incident that occurred.
- If appropriate, either arrest or criminally charge the abuser with a crime.
The Officer Can Assist in:
- Getting medical attention, if medical attention is needed.
- Obtaining a restraining order.
- Refer you to a service for domestic violence shelter.
- Refer you to other social services as needed.
HELP IS JUST A PHONE CALL AWAY 413-545-2121. IF YOU ARE IN IMMEDIATE DANGER, CALL 911.