The MA Motor Vehicle Law requires out-of-state students bringing vehicles into the Commonwealth of MA to file a Nonresident Driver Statement with the local police department in the city in which their university is located.
This policy applies to:
- Any student that lives in on-campus housing and that operates a vehicle in Massachusetts and whose vehicle does not have a Massachusetts license plate.
- Any student that is temporarily or permanently residing in Massachusetts and that operates a vehicle in Massachusetts and whose vehicle does not have a Massachusetts license plate.
What you must do:
If this policy applies to you, complete the Non-Resident Student Vehicle Form.
After your form is processed, UMPD will contact you and let you know when your state-approved decal is ready. Once decals have been assigned, they can be picked up at the UMass Police Department, 585 East Pleasant Street, Amherst, MA. The decal will be valid until your expected graduation date. This decal is not a substitute for an official UMass Amherst parking decal.
Pursuant to M.G.L.ch.90 s3
Pursuant to M.G.L. ch.90 s.3, every nonresident enrolled as a student who operates a motor vehicle in Massachusetts that is registered in another state during any period beginning Sept. 1 of any year and ending on Aug. 31 of the following year must file a RMV "Nonresident Driver Statement" with the local police department. Failure to file such statement is punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.
This policy does not apply to:
- Faculty, staff, vendors, visitors or volunteers.
- Any student that operates a vehicle with a Massachusetts license plate.
- Any student that commutes to campus and does not reside in Massachusetts (i.e. only comes to campus for classes but lives out of state temporarily or permanently).