Crime Alert – Sexual Assault
Date Occurred: 12/11/2015
Crime Alert Number: 6-15-28828
The University of Massachusetts Police Department has received a report of a sexual assault that is reported to have taken place at approximately 1am in the area of the Studio Arts Building on North Pleasant Street.
The victim stated that she was walking in the area of the north side of the Studio Arts Building, by the construction site, when she was joined by an unidentified male. This male individual walked with her briefly, then pushed her to the ground and sexually assaulted her.
The suspect is described as college-aged, wearing casual clothing. There is no further identifying information available at this time. Anyone with information related to this crime is encouraged to contact UMPD at (413) 545-2121; anonymous information can be left at (413) 577-TIPS or online at: http://www.umass.edu/umpd/anonymous-witness-form.
UMPD advises our community to always be safety-minded, and offers the following tips for safety on campus:
- When you go out, let a friend or roommate know where you will be and when you will return.
- Avoid walking alone at night. If you feel unsafe, use the Walking Escort Service, available from 7pm to 3am each night during the academic semester. Call (413) 545-2123 to make arrangements for a walking escort.
- If you are out after dark, use only well-lit routes. Walk near the curb and avoid passing close to shrubs, dark doorways, and other hiding places.
- Be alert and trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable about someone near you, head for a populated area.
- Make note of the location of HELP phones (blue-light phones) in your immediate area.
- Report suspicious activity to the police.
More safety information can be found on our website at http://www.umass.edu/umpd/safety-guidelines.
If you have been the victim of a sexual assault, there are numerous on-campus resources available to help you. Please see http://www.umass.edu/umpd/sexual-assault for more information.
Dec 11, 2015, 1:34 pm
Last Updated: Dec 12, 2015, 10:26 am