If you see a suspicious package or object or are alerted to a bomb threat:
- Do not touch or disturb the object.
- Call UMass Amherst Police Department (UMPD) Emergency Number: 413-545-3111
- Relay as much information as possible.
Be Prepared to Evacuate
If you are told to evacuate, as you leave, look around for anything suspicious to report to the authorities.
Bomb Threat Check List: Guidance for Bomb Threats by Phone
If you receive a bomb threat by phone, be prepared. Read the Bomb Threat Call Taker Check List Procedure [PDF] developed by UMPD and Emergency Management Services. It offers guidance to those people who may be in the position to receive a bomb threat via telephone. If a threat is received, either by telephone, email, or other means, always contact UMPD immediately ar 413-545-3111.
Suspicious Package: Common Characteristics
A suspicious object may come in the form of a package or envelope. Some common characteristics include:
- Package or envelope with suspicious leaks, stains, or powdered substances
- Package is rigid, bulky, or has excessive tape/string
- Poor handwriting, misspellings, improperly addressed
- Excessive postage, no postage, or no/strange return address
- Ticking, vibration, abnormal sounds, strange odors
- Generic addressee and restrictive markings
- Unexpected and from someone unfamiliar
- Irregular placement of object
If You Find a Suspicious Package
If you find a suspicious package, call UMPD at 413-545-3111.
- Provide a detailed description of the item and its location.
- Do not move, alter, open, examine, or disturb the item.
If you already handled the item:
If you already handled the suspicious package item, gently put it down in a secluded area and step away from the area. Leave the package where it is. Clear the immediate area until the police arrive. Wait in a safe place until police arrive. Emergency personnel will provide additional guidance after their assessment.