The University of Massachusetts Amherst
University of Massachusetts Amherst

Search Google Appliance


Student Employment Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find a job on/off-campus?

Each student is responsible for his/her own job search.  Search our Job Listings for part-time and seasonal positions for UMass Amherst students. Job listings include Work-Study, Non Work-Study, On- and Off-Campus positions and can be filtered to meet your job search needs.  If you are interested in working at a specific department, contact that department to inquire about available employment.

How do I sign up for Direct Deposit?

UMass Amherst Human Resources has their own website (click on HR Direct Login), where you can sign up and change your direct deposit information as well as view your paystubs and make changes to your W-4 (Federal) and M-4 (State) tax forms.  Use your NetID and password to login to the HR Direct website.

How do I get Federal Work-Study (FWS)?

Students are awarded Federal Work-Study as part of their financial aid package. All students need to file a FAFSA form to receive financial aid. Students need to file by February 14 to meet the UMass Amherst March 1 deadline for priority consideration for financial aid, including work-study. Late filers will be considered for work-study, as long as funds are still available.

How do I use my FWS off-campus?

Many Community Service Agencies have been approved as work sites for students with FWS. These opportunities are listed on our Job Board if filtered to view Work-Study, Off-Campus jobs.  Once you are hired by an off campus FWS site you and the agency will need to complete the necessary paperwork from Student Employment before you begin working.

Can I have more than one job?

Yes, however you may not work more than eight hours in a day and we recommend not working more than twenty hours per week during the academic session.

At what jobs can I use my FWS?

Federal Work-Study can be used for on-campus employment and at approved Federal Work-Study off-campus sites.

Does my Federal Work-Study affect my UMass Amherst bill?

No. At UMass Amherst, Federal Work-Study is not applied to your bill, it is earned in the form of paychecks for time worked.

Will I be taxed on my Federal Work-Study earnings?

Yes. Income earned through Federal Work-Study is taxable.

How and when will I get paid if I have a Federal Work-Study job?

You will get a bi-weekly paycheck for the hours you worked the previous two weeks, as long as all required paperwork has been returned and timesheets are received on time. Go to the UMass Amherst Human Resources website (click on HR Direct Login and use your UMass Net ID and password) to enroll in direct deposit and view your paystubs.

As a student employee, am I eligible for Earned Sick Time?

In most cases no. During the summer term, non-enrolled students working in non-work-study positions subject to FICA, may be eligible to accrue and use paid sick time prior to the start of the academic year. Visit the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office for more information regarding Earned Sick Time policy.


For more answers to Student Employment questions, see the Student Employee Handbook.