The University of Massachusetts Amherst
University of Massachusetts Amherst

Search Google Appliance


Need Federal Tax Return documents to complete your verification?

Financial aid applicants selected for verification are required to submit certain 2018 or 2019 tax documents to complete the process.

The following tax documents are acceptable:

  • Tax return transcript obtained from the IRS 
  • Record of Account Transcript obtained from the IRS
  • Signed copies of Tax returns (1040 Form) that were submitted to the IRS, including all schedules.
  • Verification of Nonfiling obtained from the IRS 

Tax transcripts, Record of Account Transcripts, and Verification of Non-fling Letter can be requested from the IRS via their website at, by completing form 4506-T available online at, and at, or via their automated phone transcript service at 800-908-9946. Once you receive the document from the IRS you must submit them to our office.

To use our IRS form 4506-T to request 2018 or 2019 Tax documents visit our forms page.

 *Please note the IRS will reject your request if all the required information is not completed or missing.

Once Financial Aid Services receives the documents your SPIRE To Do List will be updated to “Received”.

We recommend you check your SPIRE To Do List and your UMass email often to make sure your documents are received.