Job Title: Camp Counselor
Hiring Period: Summer | Hourly Pay Rate: $15.00 | Hours per week: 40
On/Off Campus: Off Campus | Work-Study/Non Work-Study: Non Work-Study | On Bus Route
Job Description: The Summer Camp Counselor will aid in supervising and effectively leading a group of campers in daily camp activities.
Summer Camp Counselors will provide a safe and nurturing environment for all campers and be actively involved and have a positive attitude about all camp activities.
Summer camp is 40 hours a week, from June 22 through August 14, 2020.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Co-lead groups of up to 15 children ages 6-10 in classroom, outdoor and field trip settings.
• Plan and teach dynamic lessons with themes of natural history, natural systems, physical science, sustainability, and related topics.
• Promote a positive and healthy environment for all campers.
• Be aware of health, safety, well-being and location of campers at all times.
• Report major health problems to Camp Director. Supervise taking medication when appropriate.
• Be an active participant in all camp activities.
• Provide leadership and support to other Counselors, Junior Counselors and CITs.
• Ensure camp program areas are kept safe and clean.
• Conduct self professionally and warmly with staff, camp families, and the general public.
• Ability to respond appropriately to emergencies and situations requiring first aid.
• Be sensitive to campers’ personalities, differences and needs.
• Set a good example for campers and others including cleanliness, punctuality, sharing clean up and preparation, sportsmanship, and attitude.
• Be fully versed and knowledgeable in all camp policies and procedures.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Drive 15-person van for field trips.
Knowledge and Skills
• Current CPR and First Aid certifications.
• Pass Criminal and Sex Offender Record Information background check.
• Documented proof of immunity or vaccination record as mandated by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
• Working knowledge of New England natural history preferred.
• Clean driving record.
• Demonstrated ability to develop activities, plan, organize and carry out daily programs.
• Ability to work independently and with a co-counselor.
• Excellent communication skills and a friendly manner.
• Passion and curiosity about the natural world.
• Able to accept supervision and guidance.
• Maintains enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience and self-control.
• Ability to lift 40 lbs.
Education and Experience
• At least one year working with and supervising a group of children.
• Bachelor’s degree in education, biology, environmental education or working toward related field.
• Be at least 18 years old.
• Compensation: $15.00/hour
The Hitchcock Center is committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity in who we are and whom we serve: our staff, board and supporters and the people, groups and partners with whom we work.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Please send a cover letter, resume and three professional reference contacts to Jeff Mazur - firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply: Email, See instructions in job description
Name/Company: Jeffrey Mazur
845 West St
Amherst, Massachusetts 01002
Job Number: 38588