Preparing to Transfer

Take the following steps to prepare for transferring: 

  • Enroll in an approved associate degree that is mapped or linked to your first choice major or the school/college in which that major is located.
  • Choose classes that will apply towards your major. Use your general education requirements and any electives to prepare for your program at UMass Amherst.
  • Review the admission requirements for your intended major.
  • Connect with your UMass Amherst transfer counselor to learn about transferring, transfer credits, and for course recommendations. 

Please note: some bachelor’s degrees will take more than two years of full-time study to complete. Most academic departments have major checklists on their websites, which will give you a sense of the degree requirements at UMass Amherst.

UMass General Education Requirements

Students with the General Education Foundation only need to complete the following Gen Ed requirements at UMass Amherst:

  • Junior Year Writing
  • Integrative Experience

Students with the STEM General Education Foundation as part of their associate degree will be expected to fulfill the following UMass Gen Ed requirements:

  • Junior Year Writing
  • Integrative Experience
  • US Diversity*
  • Global Diversity*

*Waived if you took a class at your community college that fulfills the requirement. 

Students who do not complete the Gen Ed Foundation or STEM Gen Ed Foundation are required to complete UMass Amherst’s General Education Requirements.

Transfer Credit

As a MassTransfer student, you are guaranteed at least 60 semester transfer credits! More information about transferring credit and how credits are evaluated is available on the Registrar’s website.

Admitted students receive a transfer credit evaluation as part of their admissions decision. Before you apply, we can provide an unofficial transfer credit evaluation letting you know how many courses are transferable and help make course recommendations. In some cases, how courses apply to your major requirements is determined by the academic department.