If injuries, illnesses or other conditions make it hard to move or function, your provider may recommend physical therapy. Physical therapy, often called "PT," reduces pain and restores function for a healthy lifestyle. Our physical therapy department is staffed by 3 therapists and a physical therapy assistant, with two convenient locations: UHS and Boyden Gymnasium. You don’t have to leave campus for professional care, so it’s easier to follow your treatment plan.
Your First Visit
You’ll need a referral from your medical provider to begin physical therapy. Referrals can be faxed to 413-577-3225. You’ll also need an appointment; call 413-577-5158 weekdays, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
At your first visit, you’ll meet with a physical therapist for an evaluation. You’ll be asked about your pain and any other trouble areas, and do some simple tests. Your therapist may also ask about hobbies or activities you enjoy; these may be part of your treatment. The therapist then creates a treatment plan to help you achieve your goals.
UHS Main Clinic
- Parking near UHS is currently limited; please allow extra time before your appointment to find parking in our free patient parking lot (Lot 72) or at a meter. Free UMass Transit buses make several stops within walking distance of UHS, and the UHS Shuttle offers free rides from residence halls to UHS.
- Enter through the UHS main entrance.
Boyden Gym Satellite Clinic
- Limited metered parking is available in Lot 42.
- Enter Boyden Gym using the entrance closest to Lot 42. Go down the stairs and follow signs for Physical Therapy in room 049.
Physical therapists use techniques and tools including:
- deep tissue mobilization;
- ergonomic education;
- mechanical traction;
- neuromuscular electrical stimulation;
- phonophoresis and iontophoresis;
- postural education;
- temporary and permanent orthotics;
- therapeutic exercise;
- transcutaneous electrical neuromuscular stimulation;
- ultrasound; and
Your therapist will explain what’s being used in your care. If you have questions, just ask.
Physical Therapy FAQs
Learn more with these FAQs about PT.