Primary Care and Referrals

Patients insured by a health maintenance organization (HMO) which requires primary care provider (PCP) referrals must obtain one for care at UHS. When scheduling an appointment, you'll be reminded of this requirement and asked to provide your PCP's name and address.

To avoid having to get a referral, consider switching your PCP designation to a UHS provider. Browse our Provider Directory.

How to Change Your PCP to a UHS Provider

  • Call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card and ask about transferring to UHS.
  • You can switch back during the summer, if you prefer. Some plans also make special arrangements to transfer care when students are away from their service area.
  • Review your insurance plan; if there are limitations, you may want to consider enrolling in the school-sponsored Student Health Benefit Plan.