UMass students, faculty and staff and their spouses, domestic partners and dependents with one or more symptoms of COVID-19 can get tested for COVID-19 at UHS.
If you have a new symptom of COVID-19, text SYMPTOM to 413-944-8562. You'll receive a link to self-schedule an appointment for COVID-19 testing on the UHS Patient Portal. Log in or create an account, click the APPTS tab, and follow instructions to schedule your testing appointment. When it's time for your appointment, go to the UHS Respiratory Clinic.
Questions? Call our COVID-19 Hotline: 413-577-5128. Leave a message, and a nurse will return your call.
Symptoms of COVID-19 can include:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
Learn more about symptoms from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
What to Expect
When you arrive for your appointment, follow all signs and instructions for checking in. A member of our staff in full personal protective equipment will perform a molecular PCR test, which will involve taking a swab of the inner front portion of your nose.
Your test results will be available within 24-72 hours.
Wait for test results in your room, unless instructed otherwise. Please note that the UHS lab cannot give you your test results.
- If your test is negative, you will receive a notification in the Care Evolve Patient Portal. You may need to quarantine; if so, you will be contacted with further instructions.
- If your test is positive, you will be contacted by a member of the UMass Public Health Team. You should self-isolate right away. You will receive guidance on next steps, including contact tracing.
If you have questions about whether your test will be covered by insurance, contact your insurer.
- Step 1: Stay home, and call your supervisor
- Step 2: Call or email the COVID-19 HR Response Team at 413-687-2283 or COVID19HR@umass.edu.
Information about the daily screening will remain private. The data is not stored on the app.
For information on asymptomatic COVID-19 testing, please visit umass.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-testing-programs.