Frequently Asked Questions

What is University Health Services (UHS)?

UHS is UMass Amherst’s fully accredited health center, offering comprehensive care and referrals with a special focus on the needs and concerns of students.

Where is UHS?

150 Infirmary Way, near Franklin Dining Commons.

Who can use UHS?

UHS serves UMass Amherst students, faculty and staff, along with their spouses, domestic partners and dependents.

The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Department's Region 5 employees are eligible to use UHS, through a cooperative agreement.

Ill or injured visitors can be seen at UHS on a fee-for-service basis.

[ top of page ]

When is UHS open?

Hours vary throughout the year. Check the home page for the current schedule. Medical and mental health advice is available 24/7. Call (413) 577-5000.

What should I do in an emergency?

In a life-threatening emergency, call 911 for transportation to a hospital.

I’m sick and don’t know what to do. Is there someone I can call?

Call (413) 577-5229 during health center hours. UHS' Triage Advice Nurse will help you choose the best course of care. 

Do I need an appointment?

Advance appointments are best for routine care and minor problems. Call (413) 577-5101. If you have a UHS primary care provider, great! If not, we'll match you with one that meets your needs and preferences.

Same-day appointments get you seen quickly, at a time that's best for you. Call (413) 577-5101. These appointments fill up fast  – call early in the morning. Hours are posted on the home page.

Walk-in care is for problems that can't wait. Just walk in during health center hours, or use our text service and wait where you're most comfortable. Text “clinic” to (413) 944-8562. You’ll receive a response text with your number and a reminder text when it's almost your turn to be seen.

Questions? Need help? Call the Triage Advice Nurse, (413) 577-5229 during health center hours.

Hearing or speech impairments? Access the UHS TTY system; call (413) 545-5905.

After hours medical and mental health advice is available 24/7 by calling (413) 577-5000.

[ top of page ]

Who’ll be taking care of me?

Our team includes board-certified physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, registered nurses, an optometrist, a nutritionist and certified medical assistants. Plus, specialists in areas such as acupuncture, obstetrics and gynecology, orthopedics and sports medicine have office hours at UHS.

What else does UHS have?

Our services include an eye care and optical center, women's health clinic, radiology, physical therapy, allergy, travel medicine and specialty clinics.

What about health insurance?

Massachusetts college students are required to have primary health insurance.

Students with five or more credits are automatically enrolled into and billed for the Student Health Benefit Plan (SHBP). If you’re already covered by other primary insurance, you must waive the SHBP online before the end of the add/drop period. Log on to SPIRE and follow the instructions.

Bring your health insurance card with you each time you come to UHS. If you’re covered under your parents’ insurance, ask them for a copy of the card; you’ll receive an ID card if you purchase the SHBP.  

UMass Amherst charges graduate students a mandatory Student Health Fee. This isn’t insurance, but works together with your primary plan to provide access to UHS, support UHS services and absorb costs insurance doesn’t cover.

Do I need a referral?

Patients insured by a health maintenance organization (HMO) or point-of-service (POS) plan which requires a referral from their primary care provider (PCP) must obtain a referral for care at UHS. 

When scheduling an appointment, you'll be reminded of this requirement and asked to provide your PCP's name and address.

To avoid the need to obtain a referral, consider switching your PCP designation to a UHS provider.

Who’ll know I was seen at UHS?

By law, all UHS visits and medical records are confidential. No information can be released, either verbally or in writing, unless you sign a consent form. 

UHS bills your primary insurance for services provided. Your insurance company will mail you a document called an Explanation of Benefits. Typically, this does not include treatment details. 

Bills for things that aren’t covered by insurance are mailed from UHS. Because this can include sensitive information, make sure the address UHS has on file is where you want such materials sent.

How do I get copies of my medical or immunization records?

Check out the release of information section of this website; you'll find everything you need to know!

[ top of page ]