WELCOME NEW FALL 2018 STUDENTS!
UCard Photo Upload Overview:
- Make sure that you give yourself enough time to complete the process! Few photos are accepted on the first try. Give yourself enough time to resubmit your photo if your first attempt is rejected.
- Be aware of the deadlines! A sure-fire way to have your photo rejected, is submitting it too late. The UCard Office requires time to process your photo so that we can have it ready for your NSO orientation session. If you are attending a Monday-Tuesday orientation, please submit your photo by the preceding Thursday. Similarly, if you are attending a Thursday-Friday orientation, please submit your photo by the preceding Tuesday. If you miss the deadline for your session, you will need to come to the UCard Office to have your photo taken manually.
- Check you UMass email account! When you upload your photo, you will receive an email (to your UMass email address) confirming that we received your submission. If your photo is accepted, you will receive an email notifying you of this. If you receive this message, you are all set. If your photo is rejected, you will receive an email with the reason(s) why your photo was rejected. You are allowed three attempts. If your photo submission been rejected three times, you will need to come to the UCard Office to have your photo taken manually.
- Read the Photo Requirements thouroughly! The number one reason for the low first submission acceptance rate is that students do not read or understand the UCard Photo Requirements. Complete the photo upload process quicker by reading the requirements carefully before submitting your photo. Note: Our new photo upload appication, MyPhoto, allows you to crop the photo after you submit.
What do you need before uploading your UCard photo?
- You need to be a matriculated incoming freshman or transfer student seeking your initial UCard. (Students who’ve already had UCards in the past, or who already have approved photos through photo upload should not use photo upload, but instead should come to the UCard Office to purchase replacement UCards.)
- You need to be enrolled in an in-person or online New Students Orientation session. (See the NSO web site for more information about NSO sessions.)
- You need to know your UMass campus NetID and password. (You’ll be using these to log in to the web site. Contact Campus IT if you do not have this information.) This is the same username and password that you use to log into SPIRE and you UMass email.
- You need a digital photo of yourself that meets our UCard Photo Requirements.
- You need a digital photo of your government issued id (driver's license, passport, or other official state/federal issued id card.)
Have everything? Then upload your UCard photo!
Submit your photo at least two business days before your orientation session starts. (If you cannot submit your photo at least two business days before, you will need to come to the UCard Office during your orientation session to have your photo taken.)
- Start MyPhoto
- Complete the step-by-step instructions on the MyPhoto site.
That’s it? So what happens next?
The next step is for the UCard Office to manually review your photo. If you haven’t received an accepted/rejected email from us by the third business day after uploading your photo, please contact the UCard Office. (See “Any Questions or Concerns” section below.)
- If your photo meets our UCard Photo Requirements we will approve your photo and print out your UCard. You will receive an email (at your “@umass.edu” email address) from the UCard Office notifying you that your photo was approved. Once your photo has been accepted, you should not submit another photo. If you do, it will be rejected.
- If your uploaded photo does not meet our UCard Photo Requirements, if you already have a UCard or approved photo, or if you submit a photo after the deadline for your orientation session, we will reject your uploaded photo. You will receive an email (at your “@umass.edu” email address) from the UCard Office notifying you that your photo was rejected, and an explanation of why it was rejected. If your third attempt is also rejected, you will need to come to the UCard Office in person to have your photo taken.
Where do you pick up your UCard?
- If you are participating in a Winter NSO Session, you will pick up your UCard at the UCard Office.
- If you are participating in a Summer NSO session, you will pick up your UCard during checkout at the residence hall where you are staying. If you are leaving early or cannot attend checkout for some other reason, you will need to pick up your UCard at the UCard Office the next time you come to campus. We will not issue your UCard to you before checkout. If you cannot make the NSO checkout, you will pick up your UCard at the UCard Office the when you come to campus.
- If you are participating in an online NSO session, you will pick up your UCard at the UCard Office the when you come to campus.
- UCards will only be issued to the cardholders themselves, not to parents, siblings, friends, etc.
- The UCard Office does not mail out UCards. You must come in person to pick up your card.
Any Questions or Concerns?
If you have any questions or concerns about the photo upload process, or the UCard Program in general, please contact the UCard Office at:
Phone: (413) 545-0197