The UCard is the official UMass Amherst campus picture identification card. There is a student version for undergraduate, graduate, and continuing educations students. There is an employee version for faculty and staff, and a third version for qualifying NENS (non-employee, non-student). To learn more about the UCard go here.
How do I get my initial UCard?
You must be an active student, employee, or qualifying NENS and have a record in both SPIRE and the UCard system. Continuing Education students taking only non-credit/lifelong learning courses unfortunately do not qualify for UCards.
- Students must be term activated and have registered for for-credit classes. Please note that if you just registered or were just term activated, it can take 1-2 business days before your record shows up in the UCard System.
- Employees must be active and on university payroll. Please note that if you were just put on payroll, it can take 2-3 business days before your record shows up in the UCard system.
- Sponsoring departments of Qualifying NENS (Non-Employees, Non-Students) must submit a completed a NENS form to campusIT. (Please note that International Programs Office will submit NENS for International Scholars and other NENS in the United States on a visa.)
During the current COVID-19 pandemic, the UCard Office is not taking photos at the UCard Office. The current two-step procedure for getting an initial UCard is as follows:
- Customers must first submit a photo to the UCard Office via the MyPhoto web application.
- You must schedule an appointment to pick up your UCard.
As part of the online photo submission process, you will need to provide the UCard staff with a a photo of government issued id (drivers license, passport, military id, state id, etc.). If you do not have a government issued id, you may substitute a photo of both your birth certificate and social security card.