All services for the creative arts are free of charge and you will retain full ownership of your scholarly works. The Technology Transfer Office is happy to provide information and support.
Examples of the kind of help we can provide are provided below.
- General information and advice
- Registration assistance, including serial registrations for evolving works
- Information on proper copyright notices, use of ©
- Guidance re: obtaining permission to include third-party photos, diagrams, etc. in authored works (frequently many such permissions are needed)
- Referral and collaboration with the library’s copyright attorney and/or outside counsel
- Information about the protection of trademarks
- Information about the proper use of TM, SM and ®
- Searching the U.S. Patent and Trademark database and other sources to help you determine if desired marks are available, in use, or may cause “likelihood of confusion”
- Information on how to file your own trademark registration, or referral to local lawyers who can file it for you
- Help understanding “cease and desist” letters
- Referral and collaboration with the UMass trademark licensing director, and/or outside counsel
- Information about how they are used, typical contract terms and generally recognized exceptions from what is “confidential information”
- Help in deciding if you want to accept or disclose confidential information, and if so, how long confidentiality should last
- Referral to local attorneys who can provide legal advice or negotiate terms for you
- Advice on business issues, royalty rates, and negotiation techniques
- Referral to local attorneys who can draft agreements, provide legal advice or negotiate terms for you
Starting a Company
- Advice and guidance on defining products and services, target markets
- Information about different types of business structures
- Referral to mentors who can provide advice and guidance at no cost
- Referral to potential business partners
- Referrals to attorneys who can handle the legal aspects
- Access to UMass Amherst start-up company resources, including guidance from an “Entrepreneur in Residence” and possible start-up funds.
How to Request Services
Call or email us.
Program Manager Lyne Laliberte will be glad to hear from you, please call her at (413) 545-1062, or email her at email@example.com.
You can also reach Burnley Jaklevic, the Director of the Technology Transfer Office, at (413) 577-0651, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fill out our brief form
We all get tired of forms, so this one is only two pages long; and you can leave as many things blank as you wish - we’ll get that information later. If it takes you more than 10 minutes to fill out the form, please call us, you are going too far! Download the form now.
Send the form to Program Manager Lyne Laliberte via campus mail, or scan and email it to her at email@example.com.