Strong intellectual property protection is an essential component for most startup companies and for licensing inventions to existing companies. To help UMass researchers and startup founders, Tani Chen of Wolf Greenfield will discuss what all University researchers should know about intellectual property and how to obtain strong intellectual property protection for inventions. Join us to benefit from his wise counsel. Among the topics he will address are:
- What should academic researchers know about intellectual property protection?
- What can be patented?
- How broad should patent protection be to be of interest to a company?
- Are there intellectual property strategies that work well for those interested in forming a startup?
- Should startup founders pursue international patent protection or is US patent protection sufficient?
- Are there any common mistakes startup teams make when it comes to intellectual property?
About our speaker: Tani Chen counsels clients in patent prosecution in a wide variety of areas, including batteries and fuel cells, drug delivery, nanotechnology, chemical processes, biomolecular engineering, and analytical devices. He has a particular focus on start-ups and university work, and has helped companies develop strong IP protections based on their business goals and potential threats from competitors. Tani received a doctorate in chemical engineering from MIT in 1999, and spent 2 years as a post-doctoral research fellow at the Center for Engineering in Medicine at Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital. He started working at Wolf Greenfield in 2001 and received his law degree from Suffolk in 2006.
Moderator: Burnley Jaklevic, Technology Transfer Office, UMass Amherst (www.umass.edu/tto )
The Startup Know-How Series is offered by IALS Venture Development in collaboration with the UMass Technology Transfer Office.
Also on November 16, the MINTZ-M2D2 Barracuda Bowl from 4-6pm. Two UMass Amherst startups - 3Daughters and Latde - are among the new ventures that will pitch to a panel of investors and experts following Check out the rest of the program and register to receive a link.