VEHICLE DISPOSAL/SURPLUS PROCEDURES -
- Departments who have a vehicle(s) that is/are no longer needed and would like to TRADE-IN, TRANSFER or send to SURPLUS said vehicle(s), should contact FLEET OPERATIONS (Call 413-545-4682 or email fleetops [at] umass.edu (subject: Vehicle%20Disposal) ) to make sure the process runs smoothly.
- All vehicles must arrive at the Fleet Garage (call 413-545-6511 or email umassfleet [at] umass.edu (subject: Vehicle%20Disposal) ) to have the decals removed, plates removed, keys collected, registration cancelled, defects documented, fuel card cancelled and inventory updated. (There is a decommissioning fee associated.)
- The Fleet Garage will process paperwork (if not already done by department).
- The online form is accessed at this link: Vehicle Retirement Form
ONCE THE VEHICLE IS DECOMMISSIONED:
- If the vehicle is to be a trade-in for a new purchase, we will work with the dealer to transfer ownership to them.
- If the vehicle is for surplus/auction, we will work with the auctioneer and arrange to have the vehicle auctioned, and transfer ownership to the winning bidder. (The proceeds of the auction are deposited back to the department specified SPEEDTYPE).