Motor Vehicle Acquisition Process
Effective August 1, 2009, the Motor Vehicle Review Board (VRB) is charged with reviewing and approving requests for the purchase, lease, or otherwise acquisition of UMass Amherst motor vehicles. Prior to entering requisitions, departments are required to fill out a Vehicle Request Form to be submitted to the Transportation Office Transport [at] umass.edu for review by the Board.
Please note: All vehicle purchases will be assessed a $500.00 EPACT fee. The assessed charge will be processed by a campus recharge done by Facilities & Campus Services.
- Requests should be submitted to the Vehicle Review Board (VRB) for prior approval. (Vehicle Review Board Process)
- If the VRB Approves the request, submit the approved VRB form and the purchase request and needed attachments/specifications to Procurement. (If a VRB approval is not submitted with your request, the Procurement Department will refer you to the VRB for an approval.
- Once the purchase request and VRB approval is received by the Procurement Department, a determination will be made at to whether the purchase can be made on an existing contract, or if the purchase will have to go out to bid.
- If the purchase has to go out to bid, the paperwork/RFB is issued.
- The bid closes and all submissions are opened, the bid is awarded
- The winning bidder is notified and the order for vehicle is placed.
- Please forward a copy of the final specifications of the vehicle(s) purchased to Fleet Services (fax 7-1611). Reference the purchase order number and include your contact information and any minor changes made during the final selection of your vehicle. It is important that Fleet Service has all the information necessary to help accept, inspect and prepare your new vehicle(s) when it arrives. Contact Fleet Operations at (413) 545-4682 with any questions. NOTE: If accepting a donation, the Development Department should be contacted due to tax implications.
- The vehicle dealer(ship) should contact Fleet Services at 413-545-6511 to schedule an appointment for delivery of the vehicle. A minimum of 24 hours notice is needed.
- The purchasing department should be present at the Acceptance Appointment to help receive, inspect, and accept the vehicle.
- After the vehicle is received and accepted by UMass Amherst, the purchasing department should process the receiving in Accounts Payable to allow for payment of the purchase.
- As soon as the vehicle is accepted, Fleet Operations must receive the paperwork, along with the Vehicle Acquisition Form.
- After all paperwork is received:
- the vehicle registration and plates will be processed within two to four weeks
- a fuel card will be ordered and issued
- the vehicle will be enrolled in Fleet Response
- the vehicle will be “M” numbered and a work task for vehicle signage will be placed with the campus sign shop, per UMass Standards; If you have a special request for lettering that meets UMass Amherst Standards, please contact Fleet Operations. More information at: http://www.umass.edu/procurement/policies/motorvehicles.htm
- Once MA State plates and registration have arrived, and are attached to the vehicle, a State Emission Inspection will be done at Fleet Services and the department will be notified to pick up the vehicle upon completion.
The Federal Energy Policy Act of 1992 (EPAct) requires vehicle fleets to acquire alternative fuel vehicles (AFVs). The University of Massachusetts’ fleet is governed by EPAct. Departments purchasing non-alternative fuel vehicles will be assessed a $1000.00 fee in order for the University to purchase credits towards compliance with EPAct regulations The assessed charge will be processed by a campus recharge done by Transportation Services.
For complete information, visit: http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/epact/
Enterprise Rent-A-Car maintains an on-campus office in the Transportation offices. University Departments now have access to rental cars, vans, and trucks through Enterprise Rent–A–Car.
Call 413-577-7368 or, go online to http://www.umass.edu/rentalcar
Effective July 1, 2010, all campus vehicles will be issued a Wright Express Fuel Card (WEX). This fuel card will be useable at the Campus Pumps and off-campus at authorized locations. Look for the WEX logo at the pump before starting your transaction. All fuel purchases will be processed by a campus recharge through Fleet Operations.
More information is available at www.umass.edu/vehicle.
Please contact Fleet Operations at (413)545-4682 or transport [at] umass.edu to request a new or replacement fuel card for your vehicle -or- to Add/Subtract an authorized driver in the fuel system.
For information regarding vehicle disposal, sale, or internal transfer
For the old procurement page, click here.