Special Transportation Services has been a part of UMass Transit Service since 1986. "SpecTrans" provides free transportation service around the UMass Amherst campus to students, staff, and faculty with a disability. Special Transportation Services provides an on-call and reservation service for passengers with both temporary and permanent disabilities both on and off campus. Our primary mission is to transport people to and from their classes and work. We also provide off campus trips on a limited basis.
Vans are equipped to carry the majority of wheelchairs.
Additional Fall 2020 Safety Protocols
In light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, and in accordance with the UMass Amherst Community Agreement, we are expanding our expectations for both passengers and drivers. These safety protocols apply alongside the Community Agreement, and all passengers and drivers are expected to comply with all the safety measures outlined here in addition to those in the Community Agreement.
- Passengers and their guests are required to wear a mask at all times.
- Passengers are to refrain from using the front seat of any vehicle.
- Only essential guests will be allowed to board, and guests must comply with all safety protocols.
- Any passengers who find themselves answering YES to any items on the COVID-19 Daily Self-Checklist are asked to stay home, refrain from scheduling new rides, and cancel existing rides until safe.
- Any passengers unwilling to comply may be denied service, and ridership privileges may be revoked for repeat offenders.
- Drivers are required to wear a mask at all times.
- Drivers are expected to both open and close doors for passengers, to minimize unnecessary contact with surfaces.
- Where possible, van windows will be left (at least partially) open to allow for circulation of fresh air.
- In the larger vans, where most windows cannot be opened, the vehicle ventilation will be set to allow the circulation of fresh air at all times.
- Masks, gloves, and hand sanitizer will be made available for passenger use.
- All contacted surfaces are being disinfected after each ride and vans are being disinfected at the end of each day with a strong, EPA approved cleaner.
These safety protocols serve to protect our passengers, drivers, and community members. UMass Special Transportation provides an essential service to many of our most vulnerable campus community members, and we will require strict compliance from all our passengers and drivers going forward to keep our community healthy and safe.
Registering as a SpecTrans Passenger
UMass students, staff and faculty who need our service on a long-term basis must register with Disability Services by calling (413) 545-0892. Passengers with temporary disabilities can register directly with the SpecTrans Dispatcher.
For further questions, to register, and to schedule rides contact the Special Transportation dispatcher at (413) 545-2086, or by email at spectransdispatch [at] umass.edu.
The Five-College Van Service
Five-Colleges Incorporated will fund trips between UMass, Hampshire College, Amherst College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College for some academic programs. These trips are scheduled through the UMass Transit Field Trip Service. Inquiries should be directed to Diana Noble at least one week in advance.