The top 10 facts about hookah
- Hookah is addictive – it contains nicotine.
- Hookah smoke has many of the same carcinogens as tobacco.
- Hookah use puts you at risk for 4 different cancers.
- The charcoal used produces carbon monoxide.
- Hookah smoke has higher levels of arsenic, nickel and iron than cigarette smoke.
- Using hookah can negatively impact your lung function.
- Sharing hookah mouthpieces can spread germs and infections.
- Smoking hookah during pregnancy can result in low birth weight in babies.
- Hookah originated some 500 years ago in what is now Turkey, India and Egypt.
- 1 in 5 high school seniors have used hookah in the past year.