The University of Massachusetts Amherst is a sustainability leader serving as a model for communities across the country.
- Established in 2017, the School of Earth & Sustainability, students work alongside world-class faculty to investigate defining environmental and social questions of our time. At UMass Amherst, students learn about sustainability theory and practice through 300 courses, 20 undergraduate majors, 15 graduate programs, co-curricular activities, and undergraduate research experiences focused on sustainability.
Our campus is a sustainable community for food, energy, waste, and social equity. We live sustainably!
- UMass Amherst maintains five demonstration permaculture gardens and we are committed to expanding our local, sustainable food sourcing beyond current spending of over $3 million a year.
- We have cut our greenhouse gases by 27% based on the state baseline of 2002-2004 and have installed the largest solar project on a college campus in New England (5.5 MW).
- We have a robust recycling program that includes composting 1,500 tons of food waste each year.
- We encourage and support organizations that promote social justice and diversity on campus.
We are at the forefront of sustainability research and innovation.
- UMass Amherst is leading a $7.5 million federal grant to address climate change through the Northeast Climate Science Center, a consortium of seven other universities.
- We’ve been on the cutting edge of green technology for more than forty years with our Wind Energy Center.
- We have more than 200 faculty in 36 different departments engaged in sustainability research.
We are a community of changemakers honored for our leadership.
- We are one of the top universities in the country for sustainability and have been acknowledged for our efforts, including: 2014 Second Nature Climate Leadership Award, 2015 AASHE’s STARS Gold Designation, and the White House’s 2012 Campus Champions of Change Challenge.
- UMass Amherst students run key initiatives like our bike share program and community farm share.
- Anyone can make a difference through our Sustainability, Innovation & Engagement Fund (SIEF), which supports students, faculty, and staff who provide sustainable solutions on campus.
We Learn, Live, and Lead It! Sustainable UMass!