Your Toolbox includes:
Navigate Utilization Toolbox - Your hub for all things Navigate beyond basic utilization. (Basic utilization practices are outlined in the Advising Foundations Manual below.) Need support, but can't find a resource? Email the Navigate team at email@example.com.
- Connecting Students to Resources through Navigate
- Guides for Calendar, Availability, and Appointments
- Campaign Resources
- Lists, Reports, and Advanced Search
- Guide to the Student Profile
- Peer Advising Resources
Advising Foundations, A Manual on Advising Best Practices & Procedures in Spire and Navigate for Advisors - Designed for new advisors, faculty/staff new to the advising role, and/or faculty/staff new to Spire/Navigation utilization. Explore advising best practices and strategies for utilizing student success technologies to supporting these practices.
- Overview of Spire and Navigate Technologies
- Utilizing Navigate to review student academic record and interaction reports
- Setting up calendar integration with Navigate
- Creating appointment availability
- Documenting Student Interactions: Appointment Reports
- Finding and reviewing the Academic Requirements Report
- Proactive Advising & Appointment Management (i.e. Campaigns)
- Connecting Students with Resources through Referrals (in Navigate)
Tools for Supporting Academic Skill Development & Academic Decision Making - Utilize the resources below to assist students in exploring and developing their academic skills.
- Student Worksheet: Communication Tips
- Student Worksheet: GAMES - Study Strategy Inventory
- Student Worksheet: Note Taking Strategies + Staff Guide
- Student Worksheet: Reading Strategies + Staff Guide
- Student Worksheet: Study Cycle
- Student Worksheet: Time Waster Survey
- Student Worksheet: Weekly Schedule
- Motivational Interviewing & Active Listening Resources
Success@UMass Development Series Archive - Miss a Success@UMass session? No worries. Connect with session materials, presentations and recording.
New Student Advising and Course Registration Advising Toolbox
(Updated for Summer 2022)
- Academic Advising Guide for New Student Advising & Course Registration
- Information from Academic Partners
Additional resources and advisor training materials for orientation are available through the Advisor Training for New Student Advising and Course Registration Moodle Course (an online, asynchronous course). For access to the course, please email Carley Paleologopoulos at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Getting Access to Student Success Technologies
All student academic record information is protected. Thus, any individual needing access to this type of information must be vetted and approved for access through the UMass Amherst official access request and training process prior to gaining access to academic record information. The access request form is reviewed by department heads and the Registrar’s Office.
For access Spire (Advisor or Grad Advisor) and/or Navigate (Any Access), the following steps should be completed:
|Step 1: FERPA Certification||The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act is a federal law protecting the confidentiality of student records. Completion the online FERPA certification process is required.
Go to: http://www.umass.edu/it/support/spire/about-ferpa-certification
Review the information
Click ‘FERPA Certification’ under Get FERPA Certified to complete the module and quiz
|Step 2: Apply for Access||Within Spire, you can apply for additional levels of access and access to Navigate.
From the SPIRE home screen, click the Profile tile, then Access & Privacy on the left side of the screen, and then SPIRE Access Request.
Complete the Requested Access Section of the form. Select the appropriate boxes aligned with the access you are requesting.
- For Navigate Access: Select Student Success Collaborative Navigate
- For Advisor Access to Spire: Select Academic Records for Advisors
|Step 3: Participate in Training||After your request for access has been approved both by your department and the Registrar’s Office, Student Success is notified. At this time, individuals with approved access requests will be invited to complete our asynchronous training course. After training is completed, access will be granted to the appropriate technologies within 24-48 hours. Access is not granted prior to participation in training.|