Supporting the success of UMass students is everyone’s business. By working together within a shared framework of the learning and development processes, we aim to advance the academic, interpersonal and co-curricular skill development of our students as they progress through the student lifecycle. The Success@UMass Development Series is for everyone and anyone working in the realm of student success!
Engage with Success@UMass through the following professional development opportunities during the fall and spring semesters. (Scroll down to learn about the discussion series.)
Success@UMass Weekly Development Sessions
Join us on Friday’s from 12 – 1:30pm in 416 Goodell to discuss a variety of topics related to student success. Hear from colleagues across campus about trends, issues, best practices and resources available to students at UMass. Lunch will be provided at each session thus an RSVP is required. Please RSVP by the end of business on Monday for that week’s session if you plan to attend. Each session description will indicate the target audience and knowledge level.
Success@UMass Technology Tuesday
Held monthly on Tuesdays from 11am – 12pm, these sessions will take a deep dive into utilizing SSC Campus to promote student success and best practices. Explore with colleagues’ options to create efficiency in student appointment scheduling, internal office workflows, and utilizing searches for proactive advising strategies. Each session description will indicate the target audience and knowledge level.
Success@UMass Journal Club
What’s happening in the work of higher education? Join the Success@UMass Journal Club for a monthly discuss of current articles and new headlines related to higher education. Held monthly in Goodell. Discussions will focus on interesting outcomes, key takeaways and opportunities for UMass.
Success@UMass Summer Discussion Series
Held monthly, each session will have a topic with discussion prompts. Through discussion, attendees will have the opportunity to share best practices, learn from other attendees and provide updates. Cookies and coffee will be provided during each session. Please RSVP online: https://tinyurl.com/Sum19SuccessSeries.
Advising During New Students Orientation (NSO)
Wednesday, June 12, 2:00 – 3:30pm, 416 Goodell
Discussion Moderator: Sheila Brennan
- How is advising during orientation going thus far?
- What are the key hot topics during advising sessions?
- What is your advising population during NSO? What are the themes in conversations, experiences and opportunities you are exploring with first-year students?
- To what extent have the Advising Guide and Guide to Undergraduate Programs been valuable resources?
- How have you utilized Schedule Builder?
Measuring the Success of your Programs & Services
Wednesday, July 24, 2:00 – 3:30pm, 416 Goodell
Discussion Moderator: Kristen Brittingham
- How do you or your department evaluate your programs and services? For example, how do you collect feedback and what types of feedback do you collect?
- What tools do you utilize for evaluations/assessment?
- What existing data do you utilize to measure success?
- What tips do you recommend to colleagues working on program evaluation and assessment?
- How do you organize and share outcomes?
Planner for Student Success & Advising During NSO Wrap-up
Wednesday, August 14, 2:00 – 3:30pm, 416 Goodell
Discussion Moderators: Kathy Weilerstein, Sheila Brennan, Kristen Brittingham
Experience a quick “walk through the planner” to learn which pages/bits of information you might want to tag for easy reference when working with students. All attendees will receive a copy of the 2019-2020 planner.
- How can the planner be helpful for an advisor?
- As NSO wraps-up, how did advising go?
- Thinking about the training and resources provided, what might we consider including next year to better prepare advisors?
RSVP online: https://tinyurl.com/Sum19SuccessSeries