Come be a part of a staff team committed to safety and positive social interactions among students, the university, and the Amherst community!
WHAT IS THE STAFF EVENT ACTION TEAM?
The Staff Event Action Team is a Student Affairs and Campus Life initiative that focuses on increasing staff engagement and visibility as support for large scale events. The program will be an active component of UMatter at UMass, demonstrating staff commitment to caring, community, and active bystander-ship within UMass. Staff that are trained through this program will know how to recognize, refer, and respond to student needs and concerns on-site and report on-the-ground information to decision-makers during events.
We are asking Team Members to commit to four events per academic year. All members will receive an Event Action Team t-shirt and jacket, to be worn during events.
WHAT DO EVENT ACTION TEAM VOLUNTEERS DO?
- Be visible at selected university/student initiated events during the academic year and guide student behavior to promote safe and positive interactions.
- Model the UMatter at UMass values of care, compassion and active engagement for and with our students during large and potentially disruptive events.
- Recognize, refer and respond to student needs, including intoxication, dehydration, confusion or misbehavior.
- Learn skills in Active Bystandership, recognizing and responding to alcohol/drug use, and event specific communication that can be used during events.
- Report on the ground information back to decision makers via radio, cell phone or in person.
- Assist in the planning and monitoring of student safety related to events.
WHAT ARE THE NECESSARY QUALIFICATIONS?
- Comfortable being around crowds, possibly with intoxicated or excited students in large groups.
- Be able to stand and walk for several hours per event. Be able to tolerate some wind, cold and heat extremes of weather.
- Be upbeat, positive, motivational, and collegial.
- Desire to meet and collaborate with new colleagues in SACL and beyond.
- Be available during various university sponsored and student led events throughout the semester such as football game day activities, professional playoff games, and off campus gatherings.
- Before applying to participate on the Event Action Team you must check with your supervisor regarding position requirements for university-sponsored and student-led events.
- Approval from your supervisor prior to events is required to ensure staffing and approval of comp time.
- Must have access to a cell phone to use during events.
- Able to commit to event dates and be comfortable with a flexible schedule.
- Wear the UMatter Event Action Team uniform (t-shirt and jacket) while working.
- Follow the directions of Core Team members, student life staff, and UMPD.
- PSU exempt staff, USA/MTA, GEO or MSP who are eligible to receive comp time upon approval of supervisor
WHAT IS MY ROLE WITH ENFORCING POLICY?
Members of the Event Action Team will be responsible for monitoring the environment, informing students of policies and laws, communicating expectations and referring concerns to the campus authority managing the event.
WHAT IS THE TIME COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION?
Volunteers must be PSU exempt staff, GEO or MSP who are eligible to receive comp time upon approval of supervisor. We anticipate roughly 4 hours per event.
We look forward to working with you!
Event Action Team Coordinators
Dawn Bond, Director, Residential Life Student Services
Sue Couture, Administrative Assistant, Residential Life Student Services
Sally Linowski, Associate Dean of Students, Off Campus Student Life and Community Engagement
Crystal Norwood, Residence Director, Coolidge