I Need Legal Advice, Documents or Mediation

The Student Legal Services Office provides legal advice, representation, document preparation, mediation, referral, and community legal education to all fee paying UMass students. Examples of common legal issues include:

  • Housing – leases, evictions, substandard housing conditions
  • Consumer protection – debt collectors, used car purchases, sales fraud
  • Family – divorce, custody, child support, guardianship, name change
  • Employment – unpaid wages, unemployment compensation, injury on the job
  • Immigration – residency, visas, VAWA petitions
  • Criminal law – misdemeanors, moving violations/traffic citations, insurance surcharges
  • Personal injuries – car accident, dog bites, injuries from defective product

The Ombuds Office offers informal resolution services for university-related conflicts. Services include informal mediation, facilitated conversations, shuttle diplomacy, and conflict coaching.