University of Massachusetts Amherst
Student Affairs and Campus Life Digital Signage Policy and Guidelines
I – General Statement
Axis TV digital signage is a resource for UMass Amherst Student Affairs and Campus Life (SACL). Digital signs share information and promote programs sponsored by the University of Massachusetts Amherst or university-affiliated organizations.
II – General Guidelines
- The purpose of signs is to promote university or university-sponsored programs, events or activities.
- Personal or political statements, links, or information may not be included in digital signage messages.
- Messages may not include or promote commercial activities, or advertisements from non-university organizations.
- Messages may not include use of copyrighted materials or content without permission or license.
- All messages must adhere to the University of Massachusetts Amherst Acceptable Use Policy.
- Messages must follow UMass Amherst brand guidelines.
- Messages must be approved by SACL before posting. Email content to email@example.com.
- SACL reserves the right to accept or reject any materials submitted for posting, and the right to modify or edit all materials. All messages submitted are subject to space availability and appropriateness of content.
- Event submissions will not be saved or archived. All files will be deleted following the event.
III – Management
Student Affairs and Campus Life manages technical requirements through Student Affairs Technology Services (SATS). Messaging is coordinated through SACL Communications.
IV – Guidelines for Effective Use
Readability is the priority for digital signage. Although displays are as large as posters, they are not easily read. To keep messaging readable:
- Use good contrast – best is dark type on a light background
- Use a clean, easily read font such as Arial – do not use special effects which only make information hard to read
- Type must be big enough to read at a distance. 72pt is recommended for event names, 48pt is recommended especially for time, date, place information.
- Keep messages uncluttered – present only most important information
- Make lines of text short and limit them to four or less, plus heading
- Keep in mind that slides display for only about 9 seconds each
- Images should be 1920x1080 96dpi JPG files and have a 16:9 aspect ratio.
- Templates will be provided for SACL members who will be posting content for their areas. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. RSOs will post under Student Activities templates.
Digital signage messages must be submitted to SACL Communications for approval and posting. Messages created by RSOs for posting in the Student Union must be submitted to Student Activities and Involvement for approval. Only submissions in compliance with the SACL Digital Signage Policy and Guidelines and the UMass Amherst Acceptable Use Policy will be approved.