Office of Student Affairs and Campus Life

Acceptable Fan Behavior

The Dispersal Order

Community Policing & Law Enforcement

Code of Student Conduct

Amherst Town By-Laws/Massachusetts General Laws

Acceptable Fan Behavior

Where can I go to celebrate?

The safest place is in your own residence or private residence you have been invited to or a public establishment, such as the Blue Wall, designed to entertain sports-related celebrations. If you decide to go outside you may celebrate on public property so long as you do not violate the law and do not obstruct vehicle or pedestrian traffic.

What can I do to celebrate?

You can sing, cheer and enjoy other responsible forms of celebrating. You can do activities that are legal and that do not disturb the comfort and peace of others while they are in their homes. If you do not violate anyone’s constitutional rights or property, you will be fine. Your right to celebrate ends where the rights of others and the law begin.

To protect yourself and others, stay out of the roadways and do not commit any crimes, throw any objects, or climb on anything or anyone to get a better view. Listen and obey if you are told by the police to move along or to leave the area, either by an officer or an official public address announcement.

If the message was directly given to you by an officer, or if you are part of the crowd that was ordered to be dispersed, you are required to obey the orders given. If you fail to obey the given orders, you are subject to the same police interventions, arrests and penalties levied against others who are disobeying police commands.

What behaviors are considered ‘inciting’ a crowd and in turn would initiate police intervention?

  • Climbing trees, lamp poles, signs, getting on shoulders, or any other means to gain a height advantage of the crowds and to draw attention to one’s self.
  • Taking off clothes to draw attention to one’s self, including flashing.
  • Committing any type of illegal behaviors in the presence of others. This behavior includes but is not limited to:
    • fire of any kind,
    • disorderly conduct,
    • malicious destruction of property,
    • intentionally disobeying police announcements and orders,
    • throwing any items at or near others which could cause injuries

What is “blocking access”?

Blocking access is when a public area designed for vehicle or pedestrian traffic is partially and/or totally blocked by persons, objects, vehicles, etc, which inhibit and/or prevents safe passage of motor vehicles or people traveling on the area. This blocking includes, but is not limited to the formation of large groups of people standing in an area.

What actions will be taken if we block access?

Police officers will have continuous person-to-person contact with individuals blocking the area in the effort to clear the area and allow safe passage of people returning to residence halls. Continuous announcements over loud speaker systems will be made to facilitate this effort. If the areas continue to be blocked, the police may utilize a progressive use of enforcement to clear the area.

What do I do if I find myself in the middle of a declared unlawful assembly?

Follow the directions given by the police over the loudspeaker and immediately leave the area. You should assist your friends who may also be with you in leaving the area. If approached by a police officer, comply with any directions. The majority of crowds tend to gravitate towards the middle of open areas, so work yourself away from the middle of the area and look for and walk towards the side areas for safe passage.

How do I approach an officer for help?

Always approach a police officer in a non-threatening manner and state your reasons for approaching them. During all large crowd activities, it is not the time to become argumentative.

Top of Page