The Master of Public Policy (MPP) admissions committee assesses each student's application based on academic record, letters of recommendation, and work or volunteer experience.
All applicants must have a strong cumulative grade point average and two letters of recommendation. Applicants will also be expected to have demonstrated a strong commitment to public service through internships, research, employment, or volunteer experience with policy-oriented organizations.
The program is open to both full- and part-time students.
We offer two paths to the MPP:
- The One-Year Master of Public Policy is open to any applicant who has completed a bachelor's degree, in any field, by the time they begin courses in the summer.
Download the One-Year MPP course timeline.
- The 4+1 Master of Public Policy is open to outstanding Five College students. Current juniors at UMass Amherst or Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, or Smith colleges are invited to apply.
Download the 4+1 MPP course timeline.
- Completed application form
- Statement of purpose
- Transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate work
- Two letters of recommendation
- An interview is strongly recommended but not required
The GRE is not required for either MPP program, although applicants can submit their scores if they choose.
We will review applications on a rolling basis beginning September 1. Application deadline is April 15.
Apply online through the UMass Amherst Graduate School.