Who needs to submit a W-9/UMW-9?

A “vendor” is any individual or company who is paid by UMass. All new non-UMass vendors, with the exception of resident non-employees who are requesting expense reimbursements, need to submit a UMW-9. (To learn how to add a vendor, see the FAQ section entitled “How do I add a vendor to the system?”; to learn about resident non-employee expense reimbursements, see the header "Travel and Expense Reimbursements" on our Forms and Information page.) Current students and employees who are being paid for human subject compensation do not need to submit this form, as the University already has their information. (They do, however, need to provide their legal name, ID #, a valid, off-campus address, and a reason for payment.)