was NUT_S2S

I would like to take a course at another university. How do I make sure it meets UMass requirements?

Transfer Affairs and Undergraduate Admissions reviews transcripts to establish number of credits that will be transferred. They evaluate transcripts based on course material and whether or not it meets the University of Massachusetts requirement. Keep the course syllabus from all of your previous courses, so you can show the Transfer Affairs Office or your advisor.

Is the UMass Nutrition Program a reputable one compared to other schools nationwide?

Yes, UMass Amherst has a great, accredited Nutrition Program that offers all of the coursework needed to continue on to a Dietetic Internship after your Bachelor´s Degree has been completed. UMass also offers a post-BS Dietetic Internship, showing its dedication to Nutrition and the continuing education the university believes necessary for this health field that has recently been growing in popularity. You can also get an M.S. in Nutrition at UMass, or an MPH in Nutrition or a PhD in public health – Nutrition option.

Does it make sense to major in Nutrition and have a minor in Kinesiology or would it be better to have a double major?

It depends what you want to do after your Undergrad. If you want to go on to something like Med School, maybe a double major would be to your benefit. However, if you want to do a Dietetic Internship, maybe it would make more sense to get 2 minors along with the Nutrition Major, such as a foreign language or sociology, in order to make yourself a more well-rounded applicant and to show you are dedicated to helping people.

Are there any paying jobs on campus that will help you develop yourself as Nutrition major?

YES! One of the best jobs is working in Food Service on campus because there are many job openings and your manager will work around your class schedule to give you shifts. You have your choice of the DC´s, the Hatch and the Blue Wall. Food Service experience looks great on Dietetic Applications and on Resumes, because Nutritional Professionals like to know that we understand food and food preparation, and all the hard work that goes into meal planning and design.

Besides the core nutrition classes required, what other gen eds would you recommend that would be related to the major?

Kin 110 - Human Performance and Nutrition, or Microbio 160 - Bio of Cancer and AIDS are two GREAT courses to take not only for Nutrition majors, but also for anyone interested in the body and health. These classes explain complex bodily processes in layman´s terms are would be a great complement to your required courses.

What do the upper-level nutrition courses cover for material? Do they reflect on the basic food service classes that I am currently taking?

Upper level nutrition courses focus on Community Nutrition and on diseases as a consequence of nutritional problems. Everything connects together, and food service classes WILL eventually tie in to what you learn later on. Especially with Nutritional Problems in the US and Medical Nutrition Therapy, you will need to have a solid understanding of the chemistry behind foods and what particular qualities certain foods possess that can potentially have implications for people with certain diseases and medicines.

Entering into the nutrition major sophomore year, will it be difficult for me to graduate in four years?

The Nutrition major does require 8 semesters and a particular sequence of classes, but if you already have some Gen-Eds out of the way then you may be able to catch up. You are especially at an advantage if you have already taken some classes such as Chemistry or Biology which are a few of the prerequisites for some basic nutrition classes. You can also take summer courses to fit in your prerequisites. Although many students choose to take an extra semester to complete their degree for any number of reasons, a lot of students are able to graduate within the four year time frame.

Is it possible to be eligible to take the RD test and graduate in 4 years?

Yes, some schools offer programs which will start your rotations during your undergrad years, so that when you graduate you have completed your coursework and the required supervised hours, so your are eligible to take the RD exam. These programs are called Coordinated Undergraduate Programs (CUPs). UMass does not offer a CUP program. Most schools have programs like UMass, where you complete your B.S., first and then apply for a separate internship program.