Who calls if there is a problem?
You are the first line of defense for your faculty, staff and students who have work or have class space in this building.
If you run into a non-emergency situation that requires a work order or service request, please submit a work order request through facilities.
The Building Coordinator email is notified simultaneously.
There is no need to send additional emails. Although you normally place all work orders for your department, individuals are empowered to do so on their own.
What does the Building Coordinator (BC) do?
- When problems arise that are not sufficiently resolved, the BC should be contacted to intervene on the occupant's behalf to help resolve the problem.
- Projects that involve all Arnold occupants involve the BC as the liaison between Arnold House and the various on-campus departments.
- The BC updates a shared calendar with known projects.
- Department Admins have access to the calendar.
Emergency Work Order
Please call: 413-545-6401, day or night , (No heat, water leak, radiator burst, etc.) - This is the direct line to Physical Plant and should be used for emergencies, 24 / 7 / 365.
Non-Emergency Work Order
- Log onto the Facilities home page: https://www.umass.edu/physicalplant/
- Select “non-emergency service requests” in the middle of the screen.
- Log into the system using your NetID and Password, as you would log into HR, Summit or Finance.
- Complete all the information available, mandatory items are marked with a red star.
- Give a complete description of the service needed (i.e. door lock doesn’t work, room needs to be painted, a/c won’t work, etc.).
- Click on the Submit button at the bottom of the screen once all information is entered.
- Then log out of the request system, unless you have another service request to enter.
If service is not completed in a timely manner (please use discretion as to what is timely) then notify your department administrator.
The BC will follow up to ensure completion of issue.
Generally, you should follow this procedure when submitting work requests:
- If you are having heating/cooling problems in one location or it is a first time occurrence within small area of building, you should log in to www.umass.edu/facilities and complete the work order.
- If it is not a first time occurrence and you have not had difficulties for an extended period you should still place the work order. (Again, please use your best judgment for 'extended'. Once a week is a problem that should involve the BC. Once a month is not.)
- If the problem is not resolved in a timely manner, either email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or drop by 119/118. Please use your best judgment concerning 'timely'. The amount of time should be in relation to the problem.
- If you have an item that has broken, you should be using the service call request method for routine maintenance.
- Please contact the supervisors at 5-0147 to describe the problem. If the problem persists, then you should send an email to the BC and provide as much detail as possible (i.e. date(s) of call(s), nature of problem(s), location, and response).
- If problems are encountered in a classroom, please make the call and/or place the work order based upon the issue/direction you receive from physical plant.
- We are all responsible for our own space. If there is a concern that involves discussions between groups and you want the BC involved, send an email to: email@example.com.
- If you schedule work, please be sure you are available to assist maintenance with the room requiring work. This is your responsibility. It is also the practice of maintenance to sign out a key (from Lock Shop) prior to their arrival to perform work. They should stop by to see you before entering any and all offices as a common courtesy.
- If you have faculty, staff, and students that require constant assistance for locked doors, an alternate method will need to be worked out for when you are not here.