The UMass Amherst Upward Bound Program is a year-long college preparatory program for first generation and/or low income high school students from Springfield, MA. The Summer Institute is a 6-week residential experience hosted at UMass Amherst for 40 – 60 high school students. The Summer Institute is designed to expose students to a college-like experience that supports the positive academic, emotional, and personal development of our students in preparation for success in college and life afterwards. The Summer Institute provides participants with the experience of living on a college campus; taking academic courses, engaging in artistic, musical and other fun and educational activities as well as preparing for college and career success. Upward Bound students will participate in programming that will include: academic classes, mentoring and tutoring, academic advising, social justice based themes, life skills workshops, and the development of time management and critical thinking skills.
Upward Bound is looking for energetic, team-orientated people from many academic disciplines that enjoy working with young people. The summer program is intensive, and challenging; potential candidates should expect a fast-paced and dynamic workplace. The program begins June 24th – and ends August 10th. Training will be provided. Compensation is $2,500 stipend plus a $1,612 educational award upon successful completion of summer program service.
AmeriCorps Logistics/Communications Team Leader (PM) Position Description:
- Provide the Upward Bound administrative team with logistical and communications support in implementing the Upward Bound program.
- Support staff in supervising Upward Bound participants (high school aged). Special responsibility for evening transitions to and from production to dorm and at lights out.
- Manage weekly, daily and summer calendars. Communicate these calendars and all upcoming events electronically, on paper and visually throughout program spaces.
- Create weekly program communications for students, families and staff.
- Take nightly attendance and report changes in student attendance program wide.
- Assure all students are in designated spaces accounted for during the evening.
- Monitor individual student concerns and communicate them with the full administrative team (RS, ARS, UB Director, and Assistant Directors, Team Leads).
- Help align program and student knowledge between academic and residential spaces.
- Conduct a daily logistics debrief to RS and AM Logistics Team Lead.
- Communicate daily with administrators about afternoon and evening activities and events including production, recreation activities/ excursions, study hall and lights out.
- Plan, with the administrative team, communications, program visuals, and activities that help implement the positive behavioral program.
- Attend, monitor, and participate in lunch each day. Assist in post-lunch transitions.
- Assist in the logistics of planning program-wide activities, as needed.
- Attend and participate in staff development activities and weekly staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.