Summer 2020 Graduate Research Intern Position
Description: Human Impact Partners seeks one summer research intern to support research projects with our nonprofit organization in Oakland, California.
Applications due by March 2, 2020.
Hourly rate: $20/hour
Start date: Summer 2020 (flexible start and end dates)
Time commitment: Full-Time, for approximately 3 months
Location: Oakland, CA
About Human Impact Partners: We conduct policy-focused, innovative, and strategic research that evaluates health impacts and inequities to support targeted campaigns and movements for social change. We amplify the use of that research through advocacy and by mobilizing the health community to use their voice and expertise in support of social change. Our research and advocacy efforts primarily focus on economic security, the criminal legal system, and equitable built environment domains. For more details about HIP and our approach, visit: www.HumanImpact.org.
Working alongside HIP staff, the Research Intern responsibilities include:
- Conduct literature reviews and collect data
- Analyze data using quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Write up research findings for reports, issue and policy briefs, and other materials
- Translate HIP’s research findings into materials for public health professionals to advocate around social determinants of health, including criminal legal reform, economic security, immigration, housing, and other policies
- Opportunities to develop content for HIP’s communications channels, including website and social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Medium channels) Qualifications
- Working towards a master’s degree in public health or other field with connection to social policy, such as public policy, city planning, or social welfare
- Strong research, writing, communications skills
- Understanding of social justice, health equity, and social determinants of health
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Commitment to collaboration and a sense of humor HumanImpact.org | Twitter: @HumanImpact_HIP | Facebook: @HumanImpactPartners
How to Apply
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 2, 2020: A cover letter, A 1 to 2 page resume, Contact information for 3 references, A brief writing sample (1-3 pages) highlighting research skills
Applications are due by March 2, 2020. Interviews (in-person or online) are expected to take place starting in mid-March 2020 and successful applicants will be notified of hiring decisions by early April 2020.
Equal Opportunity Employment Human Impact Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people with lived experiences related to the issues we work on (such as criminal legal reform, economic security, immigration), people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ folks to seek employment or board opportunities with us. We do not conduct criminal background checks on candidates.