*THIS POSITION WILL SERVE AS CLIMATE JUSTICE POLICY ASSOCIATE*
Under the guidance and supervision of the Director of Sustainability, the Climate Justice Policy Associate is responsible for working with frontline communities to advance collective goals and strategies that help Providence become a more just and climate resilient city. Providence’s frontline communities are communities of color most impacted by the crises of ecology, economy and democracy, including the Indigenous, African-American, Black, Latinx, and Southeast Asian communities in Providence. There is particular emphasis on people of color who are refugees and immigrants, people with criminal records, those who speak languages other than English, and LGBTQ.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Oversee the implementation of the Climate Justice Plan including developing and implementing new policies and programs.
2. Develops metrics and/or tracking system for monitoring implementation progress of the Climate Justice Plan.
3. Manage the Equity in Sustainability initiative to help center racial equity in the City’s sustainability agenda.
4. Support and participate in the Administration’s efforts to ensure equity is centered in decision-making across City government.
5. Serve as a liaison and represent the City with the Racial and Environmental Justice Committee. This will require attending evening and weekend meetings.
6. Build and manage relationships with other frontline community organizations.
7. Engage in continued education and learning around the history of environmental justice in Providence.
8. Help build capacity with and support frontline communities, communities of color and/or low income communities via strategy coaching, leadership development, organizing trainings, grant writing and other needs as determined by community members.
9. Create content for communications, including website, social media and blog posts.
10. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience
1. Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university and a minimum of two years’ experience in community organizing, particularly relating to anti-racism; Or any combination of experience and education that is substantially equivalent to the above requirements.
2. Commitment to improving environmental justice in Providence.
3. Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of the intersections between the climate movement, labor, racial justice, reproductive justice, gender justice, and other movements for social justice.
4. Bilingual in Spanish and English.
5. Experience with program management including program design, implementation, evaluation, and tracking.
6. Ability to present on findings, policies, or recommendations to stakeholders and city staff.
7. Demonstrates sensitivity, tact, and sound professionalism judgment.
8. Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office.
1. Strong training and facilitation skills.
2. Knowledgeable of network theory and/or decentralized movement-building.
3. Ability to effectively build social networks and facilitate connections between government and underrepresented groups.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Please send resume and a cover letter which clearly articulates your interest and qualifications for the position. Place “ Sustainability Policy Associate” in the subject line and send electronic submissions to email@example.com.