Undergraduate Program

Center for Language, Speech, and Hearing

People in the field of Communication Disorders typically work as either Audiologists or Speech-Language Pathologists. Audiologists are health care professionals who identify, diagnose, and treat hearing, balance, and other auditory disorders. Speech-Language Pathologists evaluate and treat people with speech, language, swallowing, and social communication problems. Clinical certification in both of these fields requires individuals to complete a graduate degree. The entry-level degree for Audiologists is a professional doctorate (usually the Au.D. degree) while Speech-Language Pathologists must earn a Master’s degree in order to be eligible for clinical certification. Our undergraduate degree program provides students with the background necessary to work as Speech-Language Pathology Assistants or Audiology Assistants, and prepares individuals to apply to graduate programs in either Audiology or Speech-Language Pathology. Students considering a career in speech-language pathology or audiology can learn more about the field by consulting the American Speech-Language Hearing Society (ASHA).

Students can view or follow the program blog for additional information.

Please note that our department does not offer an accelerated Bachelor's-Master's degree option.