Landing an interview with a prospective employer is a significant accomplishment. This is your opportunity to make a personal connection with the employer and show why you’d be perfect for the job. Therefore, learning how to prepare and interview well is essential. Interviewers want to see that you are able to present yourself, that you are articulate and comfortable, and that you are able to handle difficult questions and situations. They also want to see what kind of colleague you will be.
- Helpful Interview Advice
- Big Interview: UMass students and Alums get FREE access to this training system that helps you prepare more effectively for a job interview and build your confidence
Some Basic Interview tips:
- Be friendly to everyone you see. Stand and smile when people come into the room or when they are introduced to you.
- Offer a firm handshake and maintain eye contact when speaking to others.
- Sit up straight, and do not slouch.
- Don’t cross your arms during the interview.
- Don’t play with your hair, jewelry, or objects (such as pens).
- Listen patiently to each question, and don’t interrupt other speakers.
- Come prepared with questions for interviewer! Here are some sample questions that YOU can ask during an interview.
For Virtual Interviews and more:
- Glassdoor.com's Tips for How to Ace Your Virtual Interview
- Candid Career's "Virtual Interview 101" is guaranteed to make you chuckle at least once
- Vault.com's Virtual Interview Tips & Checklist
When you do have an interview, you are welcome to schedule a practice interview with a professional advisor in our office. In addition, UMass Amherst students and alumni have access to Big Interview, a free online training program that helps you prepare more effectively for a job interview and build your confidence.
- Access for Current Students: https://umass.biginterview.com/
- Access for UMass alumni: https://umassalumni.biginterview.com/
Here are some sample/potential interview questions by major:
- Potential Interview Questions that may be asked during a Dietetics interview (for Nutrition majors)
- Potential Speech Pathology/Audiology Interview Questions
- Potential Kinesiology Interview Questions
- Potential Public Health Interview Questions
Contact the SPHHS Office of Career Planning additional interview support.