- BA University of Michigan
- MSW, University of Michigan
- DrPH, Columbia University
Areas of Specialization:
- Emergency Preparedness
Dr. Linda Young Landesman is a nationally recognized expert in public health who has a long and distinguished career working as a clinician, administrator, educator, policy maker, and author. Dedicating her career to working with underserved populations, she most recently worked for 16 years as assistant vice president, Office of Professional Services and Affiliations, at the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation where she was responsible for $870 million in workforce contracts, until her retirement in 2012.
She was the principal investigator for the first national curriculum on the public health management of disasters, sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention through a cooperative agreement with the Association of Schools of Public Health in the mid-1990s. She has had numerous appointments to committees and community boards, a few of which include the Regional Advisory Committee for the New York State Commission on Health Care Facilities for the Twenty-First Century; Commissioners’ Advisory Committee, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene; Violence Prevention Subcommittee, Albert Einstein College of Medicine; and the Environmental Subcommittee, New York Academy of Medicine.
Dr. Landesman is a former chair of the executive board of the American Public Health Association, past president of the Public Health Association of New York City, and a fellow at the New York Academy of Medicine. She has edited or authored nine books, including the landmark book, Landesman’s Public Health Management of Disasters: The Practice Guide, now in production of its fourth edition. She has also authored or coauthored dozens of journal articles and book chapters.
Dr. Landesman earned her BA and MSW degrees from the University of Michigan and her DrPH in health policy and management from the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health.
- Landesman Linda Young and Burke Rita (2017) Landesman’s Public Health Management of Disaster: The Practice Guide, Fourth Edition, American Public Health Association, Wash., D.C.
- Landesman Linda Young and Weisfuse Isaac (Eds.), (2014) Case Studies in Public Health Preparedness, Jones and Bartlett Publishers, forthcoming
- Landesman Linda Young (2009) Emergency Preparedness for Health Professionals: Introduction to Disaster Response, Paradigm Publishing, St. Paul, MN
- Landesman Linda Young, (2006) Public Health Management of Disaster: The Pocket Guide, American Public Health Association, Wash., D.C.
- Landesman Linda Young, (ed.) (2001) Public Health Response to Disasters: A Curriculum for the New Millennium, Association of Schools of Public Health, Wash., D.C.
- Landesman, Linda Young, (ed.) (1996) Emergency Preparedness in Health Care Organizations, Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois