- MBA Yale (accounting and finance) 1991
- Ph.D. Yale (History of Science and Medicine) 1994
Areas of Specialization:
Healthcare policy and management, healthcare finance
I conduct research into the historical evolution of US health policy and healthcare delivery. I am also interested in diseases and therapeutics. I’ve written on AIDS, psychotherapy, obesity, Medicaid and charity care, pre- and post-war health policy. I am currently writing a book on Cold War science policy and the rise of the modern research university.
- Intractable System: American Healthcare Since 1968 (under review ).
- American Therapy: The Rise of Psychotherapy in the United States (New York: Gotham Books of Penguin Putnam, 2008). 365 pp.
- The Epidemic: A History of AIDS (New York: Smithsonian Institution Press of HarperCollins, 2006). 385 pp.
- Poor People's Medicine: Medicaid and American Charity Care Since 1965 (Durham: Duke University Press, 2006). 301 pp.
- Doctors and Reformers: Discussion and Debate over Health Policy 1925-1950 (Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 2002). 415 pp.
- Fat Nation: Obesity in the United States Since 1945 (New York: Rowman and Littlefield, 2018). 250 pp.
- Unaffordable: American Healthcare from Johnson to Trump (Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 2018). 275 pp.