- Ph.D. Nutrition, University of Connecticut
- MPH, University of Connecticut
- BA, Psychology, Wheaton College
Areas of Specialization:
- Community nutrition
- Maternal/infant nutrition
- Public health nutrition
Dr. Hromi-Fiedler specializes in community nutrition with emphasis in maternal and child health (MCH) both internationally and domestically. She has worked in Uganda and Ghana on different MCH projects including building the capacity of local Ghanaian health professional by enhancing their knowledge and skill of analyzing nutritional data using a public domain software available through the Centers for Disease Control, developing nutrition education materials for Liberian refugee caretakers at Buduburam Refugee Camp in Ghana, and conducting a postdoctoral summer fellowship in Ghana examining dietary practices, food availability, and nutritional status among Liberian refugees and Ghanaians living in and around Buduburam Refugee Camp. Currently, she is collaborating on implementing a global breastfeeding project.
Domestically, her current research emphasizes food security as well as dietary intake during pregnancy. She has taken the lead on the adaptation of the U.S. Food Security Scale, a national instrument to measure food insecurity, among pregnant Latina women. Dr. Hromi-Fiedler implemented one of the first longitudinal studies in Hartford, CT, examining the association between food insecurity during pregnancy and infant outcomes among Latinas. With funding from NIH, Dr. Hromi-Fiedler recently implemented a study to gather data to inform the design of a community-based intervention to increase fruit and vegetable consumption among low-income pregnant Latinas.
- Woldeghebriel, M., Hromi-Fiedler, A., Gallego, D., Sandow, A., Lartey, A., Pérez- Escamilla, R. Length of Time in Ghana is Associated with the Likelihood of Exclusive Breastfeeding among Liberian Refugees living in Buduburam. Maternal Child Nutrition. 2016. In press.
- Hromi-Fiedler, A., Chapman, D., Segura-Pérez, S., Damio G., Clark P., Martinez J., Pérez-Escamilla R. Barriers and facilitators to improve fruit and vegetable intake among WIC eligible pregnant Latinas: An application of the HAPA framework. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. July 2016.
- Anderson C., Zhao H., Daniel C., Hromi-Fiedler A., Dong Q., Elhor Gbito K., Wu X., Chow W. Acculturation and Diabetes Risk in the Mexican American Mano a Mano Cohort. American Journal of Public Health. 106(3):547-9, March 2016.
- Hromi-Fiedler A., Bermúdez-Millán A., Segura-Pérez S., Pérez-Escamilla R. Nutrient and food group intakes differ among Latina subgroups during pregnancy. Public Health Nutrition. 15(2):341-51, Feb 2012.
- Hromi-Fiedler A., Bermúdez-Millán A., Segura-Pérez S., Pérez-Escamilla R. Household food insecurity is associated with depressive symptoms among low-income pregnant Latinas. Maternal & Child Nutrition. 7(4):421-430, Oct 2011.