Most of our students either study abroad while completing their degree with us, or become our majors or minors as a result of having spent a summer or an antire semester studying in another country. By studying abroad students gain an invaluable experience of linguistic and cultural immersion in a Spanish- or a Portuguese-speaking environment. Many of our majors and minors choose exchange programs sponsored by the university and our program. Check out our Study Abroad Blog to learn from our students' testimonials.
Regardless of the program you choose, all students need to obtain the approval of their advisor before departure in order to guarantee that all courses taken abroad will fulfill the requisites of their degree.
Programs sponsored by Spanish and Portuguese Studies at UMass:
- Granada, Spain - EEC Granada Intensive Language Program is offered both fall and spring, check out this video.
- Oviedo, Spain -Universidad de Oviedo: spring program.
- San Sebastián, Spain - USAC: fall, spring, and year-long programs.
- Salamanca, Spain - The Universidad de Salamanca Summer Program, for an application please click here.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina - Universidad De Belgrano. spring and yearlong programs.
- Lisboa, Portugal - 4 universities: fall, spring, and summer programs.
- Florianópolis, Brazil - USAC: fall, spring, and summer programs.
When you choose one of the programs listed above you know that the courses you take abroad are going to transfer without any trouble, avoiding you unpleasant surprises when you return to UMass.
If you enroll in one of our sponsored programs, there is no limit as to the number of credits you can transfer towards your minor and major in Spanish or Portuguese.
We strive to make the study abroad experience available to all students. Your financial aid is available to study abroad.
For more information about programs in Spanish, Portuguese, or Catalan Studies at UMass, contact an advisor.
You can find additional programs in the International Programs Office site.