The University of Massachusetts Amherst

Sociology Online Major F.A.Q

Q: Who teaches SOC ONLINE courses?

A: Our courses are taught by current award-winning faculty members, visiting lecturers who specialize in their fields, and current advanced graduate students.

Q: What are the admission requirements and deadlines for SOC ONLINE?

A: They are the same as campus requirements and deadlines. Please see the UWW Admissions page.

Q: Are the requirements for the Certificate Programs the same for SOC ONLINE than on campus?

A: Currently we are able to offer both the Social Work & Social Welfare certificate, and the Criminology & Criminal Justice System certificate online. Find more information about our certificates here.

Q: Where do I go for advising?

A: If you are in your first year at UWW, contact the UWW Advising office. Once a student declares Sociology as their major they can contact the Sociology Department Advising Program.

Q: In what order should I take my courses?

A: Our Online Sociology program mirrors our traditional program: Students are encouraged to take a 100-level course first, to take 212 Elementary Statistics and 302 Foundations of Sociological Theory in the Sophomore or Junior year, and Junior Year Writing in their Junior year.

Q: How often are required courses taught?

A:  We have a one year cycle for required courses, and a two year cycle for all other courses to satisfy the major and two certificates: Criminology and the Criminal Justice System, and Social Work & Social Welfare.

Q: Are SOC ONLINE classes synchronous or asynchronous?

A: All courses are asynchronous, with the potential for synchronous components.

Q: How does SOC ONLINE look on my transcripts and diploma?

A: SOC ONLINE Students will have ‘UWW (CPE)’ for classes taken prior to Summer 2021, and ‘UWW’ for classes starting Fall 2021 on their college transcripts. SOC ONLINE diplomas will be the same as all other students. 

Q: Can on campus students take SOC ONLINE courses? 

A: On campus students can take classes online. Contact your advisor for more information. [As per Melissa: These details are still being worked out with the Registrar and IT.]

Q: If I am a UWW student, can I switch to in person learning?

A: UWW/Sociology Online students must apply to transfer to the campus program. Contact your advisor for more information.

Q: How do I enroll in courses?

A: If you are currently enrolled as a UMass Amherst student, you register through SPIRE. If you are enrolling for the first time, or you are not a UMass student, the deadline to register is 3 days before the end of the add/drop period since it is a two-stage process. You will find more information here.

Q: How do I apply to graduate or receive a certificate?

Q: After completing all classes, fill out and return a Certificate Completion Form and email it to our Advising Staff

Q: Is financial aid available?

A: Some students receive financial aid through outside resources such as scholarships, grants, or tuition waivers from their employers. Eligible employees of the University of Massachusetts, their spouse and dependent children may receive up to a 50% for any UWW course taken. The UWW Financial Aid website is here. Click here to check if there is funding available for military personnel through the GI Bill visit or call 413-545-5792.