Procedures for the Resolution of Student Issues and Grievances

The Department of Sociology at the University of Massachusetts Amherst strives to promote a healthy work and learning environment. Occasionally, issues arise that may require assistance to resolve and the department would like to let you know how and where you can seek guidance.

In the Department

The most common issues that undergraduate students encounter can be resolved informally at the department level.

You are encouraged to start by discussing the issue with your instructor; it is possible that the issue can be resolved informally. If not, or if a conversation with your instructor is not possible, initiate a confidential conversation with one of the following people in the sociology department:

If the individual you contact cannot or does not know how to resolve your issue, they may consult with other members of the department or staff. If you would like to keep your issue private, you can request that they not share identifying information about you with others.

Other University Offices

In the event that your issue requires further assistance, you may choose to directly visit or may be referred to one of the following campus offices:

Ombuds Office

The Ombuds Office is helpful in informally mediating disputes between students and faculty, whether those disputes are academic or interpersonal. They also handle issues of academic honesty.

Dean of Students Office

The Dean of Students Office strives to meet the varied needs of undergraduate students through advocacy program support, advising, and general counseling.

The Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity (EO&D)

The EO&D Office is a resource for discrimination, sexual harassment, and equal opportunity complaints.

Veteran Services

Veteran Services assists veterans, guardsman, reservist and their family members in taking full advantage of all educational benefits available to them as well as assist in the transition from active duty to student life at UMass Amherst. They provide advocacy, networks, and resources on and off campus that benefit this student community.

Center for Counseling and Psychological Health (CCPH)

Call CCPH at (413) 545-2337. You’ll be scheduled to talk briefly with a clinician, who’ll make recommendations based on your needs. Confidential services include crisis intervention, individual therapysupport and therapy groups, behavioral medicine, psychiatric services and an eating disorders clinic.

Center for Women and Community (CWC)

The Center for Women and Community provides training, support groups, workshops, events, counseling, and online services to support the local community. CWC counseling services provide an important alternative to women seeking counseling services.

Disability Services

Disability Services provides members of the University community with the finest educational opportunities and the most appropriate accommodations available for people with disabilities.